what is the difference between turbo regals and non turbo regals?

93formula

could you tell me if the turbo regals and the 3.8 regals haev the same motor? ive found a 86 with 113KMS on it, asking price is 1500. contaced GM and according to the parts guy who was looking up part numbers for me, the block is the same, the crank is the same, the conecting rods are the same, and the heads are the same. all id have to change is the intake and the pistons, add a turbo and ecm etc. id have the whole car at my disposal so it would come with all the brakets and accesories and what not. thanks.

this is a carbed motor by the way, is it possible to install a EFI manifold etc?

The guy was partially correct...The intake, crank, cam, valve springs, and pistons are different on the turbo motor...Everything else is the same...

If you go with the 86/7 intercooled setup, you will need to drill the turbo oil return hole in the front of the block...But the rest of the turbo specific stuff will bolt right on...The brackets and accesories/pulleys for the turbo motor are completely different than the NA motor...

By the time you were done buying all the TR specific parts and putting them on a N/A regal, you'd have more money in it than if you had got a loan and a bought Real T-R.

Don't forget the the trans, torque converter and rearend, gas tank, fuel lines, etc. etc. are different.

When you get done, you'll realize it would have been cheaper and easier to buy a complete T-R.

A real T-R is worth more when you give up midway and try to sell it, too.

my turbo regal has 87 drivetrain then i have a n/a 3.8 87 regal the difference between them is about 500 hp...:D

Originally posted by LTNG KLLR
what would happen if you used an N/A crank? and whats the difference

Rolled fillets. Compressive stresses are applied to the journal fillet areas mechanically during the manufacturing process. Since cracks mainly appear under tension, this reduces the tendancy for stress cracks to form.

Think of pulling and tearing a piece of paper. If you fold the edge over, it is harder for a crack to form when tension is applied. Not quite how it works, but you get the idea.

okay let me get this straight, the crank is different? i thought it was but the guy insisted it was the same part number.

i dont want a GN i just want the motor. i thought it would be easier to find the basics in a car rather then go out and buy the GN motor, which may have a inflated price.

DIFFs: crank, pistons, valve springs, cam, intake

SAME: block, rods? thats it?

are the brackets and accesories and pulleys hard to track down?

whats a GN turboed motor go for?

Crank is the same casting number, but is machined diff, so the part number is diff.

Heads are the same (you can pick up used TR heads for less than $100) Block is the same with slight maching diff (drain hole)

The expensive stuff is the sensors, brackets and all the other TR specific little things that add up. And there are a lot of those.

hmmmm may have to re think my idea then. thanks for your input. would anyone know the average price of a GN turboed motor?

If you keep your eyes open on this board in the FOR SALE section complete motors go up for sale, from turbo to oil pan including sensors and harness. A guy was selling 3 motors 20k miles, 40k miles, and 75k miles. I think he wanted around $2800 for them, and around 3200 with the tranny.

Like I said before... Stick with the LT1 or buy a complete TR and be done with it.

Originally posted by 93formula

i dont want a GN i just want the motor. ?

try looking into an 89 TTA :) if its for the 93 f-body

although if you need a complete turbo motor, put an add in the wanted section also you will need a wiring harness to go along with it

I agree with TTA89. I have a '77 z28 (my first car 15 years ago) that I will be doing a build up on in the next year or so. While I love my Turbo V6, its getting harder and harder to get parts for these cars. I will build a FI LT1 with a turbo or two. You can buy all the parts over the counter, and it will handle over 1000 horsepower without blowing the crank through the bottom of the block. Your limited to about 600 hp with the LC2.

The whole thing about the Turbo Regals and the TTA is that they have all the supporting hardware to run 10s already on the car. Rear end is good to the 10s as well as headers, ignition, tranny, suspension, fuel lines, etc.

If done properly, you could take a bone stock turbo buick and put it in the 10s with nothing more than a turbo, injectors, converter, dump pipe, K&N, bigger intercooler, slicks and race gas. Its all about combination and from the factory these cars had a good combo.

Originally posted by TTA89
Like I said before... Stick with the LT1 or buy a complete TR and be done with it.

That's the message I have been trying to get across too. :)

sorry guys i know you love the TR but i just want the motor.:D ive decided to stick with the lt1 but im still in the hunt for a GN motor. im planning on building it up outside of the car and when its all ready then ill put it in a car. perhaps my 93 or a C4 vette. im sorry but im not big on the GN body style. that and everyone knows there damn fast. when my car was mildly modified i didnt even bother racing GNs, i know id get my butt handed to me. i love what the motor puts out though. great power, drivablity and mileage. to have it my 93 or a C4 would make a great sleeper. quiet, no cam surge, etc. thanks for your advice though.