You can type here any text you want

What is this called

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mr84ss

What is this called on the end of this air filter and what does it do?

49283d08f88858fb313fb1ad1ba18501.jpg

Cold air intake. seals the air filter from pulling in hot air.
Most independent test show it is not worth any power gain or loss for that matter.....
My testing with a laptop scan shows the IAT temps drop very quickly when the vehicle starts to roll with an open element.

Thanks for the info and quick reply. Who sells them?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

That is just a canister and for the most part it will probably hurt your spool up. I had the canister on a 14" filter and finally just removed it totally. Kenne Bell use to sell them.

I still have one from kenne bell layin around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would think more heat seeps into the intake through the intake tube (if it's aluminum) as it's located right alongside the front of the engine and behind the rad. I think wrapping some of that silver thermal reflective tape or wrap around the intake tube would be more effective, but would look fugly.

That picture is of a Kenne-Bell air filter set-up. It is very restrictive. I did some back to back testing many years ago regarding open element and closed off air filter. I built a sealed area behind the dr side headlight to complely isolate the air filter from under hood heat. Ran at the track with the isolator and with out it. It made zero difference. The KB filter can removal did pick up a bit on a mid 11 second car. Oh the good old days when we tried about everything.

Back in the day they were considered high tech cold air intake systems.

Today they are considered :poop:!!!

That picture is of a Kenne-Bell air filter set-up. It is very restrictive. I did some back to back testing many years ago regarding open element and closed off air filter. I built a sealed area behind the dr side headlight to complely isolate the air filter from under hood heat. Ran at the track with the isolator and with out it. It made zero difference. The KB filter can removal did pick up a bit on a mid 11 second car. Oh the good old days when we tried about everything.

Was that with our without the watercooled up pipe? :)

TWO TENTHS AND TWO MPH's!!!

Back