You can type here any text you want

what kind of head gaskets to use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

prokeep15

I was wondering what kind of head gaskets to use? whats the best for high hp and hard use?

I'd use the Cometics but be careful, they will NOT blow very easy. You might end up driving over the crank before they let go. But if you want to run high psi and not worry about the heads lifting and eating apart the graphite gaskets they are the way to go.

I use regular felpro 9441pt with no problems. Last year I put a little over 200 passes(running 10.7-11.3 depending on setup)on a set and they looked perfect when I pulled the heads to get the guides done.

HTH,
Steve

stockers are fuses that are not bad to replace when YOU screw it up :eek: good ones work but ya won't be just doin head gaskets :biggrin:

I also agree with the above 2 comments but have found that for applications pushing 25+ psi, the soft material gaskets like the stockers or 9441's tend to get chipped awat at when the heads lift under real high boost....especially with the least amount of detonation which under most circumstances is not all bad as long as it's kept to the bare minimum...say low single digit numbers at most; none is best obviously. But again, without a fuse to blow, becoming a member of the DOTC club is easier to get into.

Should I even change the head gaskets if they dont need to be done? I'm just thinking about it since I have to change the oil pan and valve cover gaskets anyways. I'm really just considering it preventative mantainence since the tranny wont be done for a few weeks. Oh yea and my buddy Mr. Goodwrench told me to ask the board if the head bolts are "torque Yield?" I figure I might as well change the studs while I'm doing the head gaskets since their probably stock...Hey Grumpy does my situation sound like a "money pit?!" :biggrin:

prokeep15 said:
Hey Grumpy does my situation sound like a "money pit?!" :biggrin:

be careful !!! they do turn on ya :p before ya know it your broke !! BUT having fun :p

prokeep15 said:
Hey Grumpy does my situation sound like a "money pit?!" :biggrin:

be careful !!! they do turn on ya :p before ya know it your broke !! BUT having fun :p

Like the old saying "if it's not broke, why fix it." or something like that.

If you haven't had a problem with them keep he stockers in there until you blow them:)

If the stock gaskets have not gone yet DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!!!

The factory gaskets turn into a glue after all this time, as I understand it!

so if they are still intack LEAVE'M ALONE

KEEP an eye on your knock and keep the boost around 23/24 with alky or race gas and they will last a long time. :D :D :D :D

I had a car with steel gaskets !!! NEVER blew them out !!! worked awesome !!! :biggrin: just had tp replace a piston :p

Attachments

• headgasket piston.JPG
    headgasket piston.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 126
  • headgasket.JPG
    headgasket.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 149
So I'm looking on summit.com and theres different sizes it looks like for 3.8buick, which size do I order with? and are there any opinions on the copper headgaskets? Whats something between stock, and the ones spoken of before that blow out cranks?

Back