You can type here any text you want

What kind of slicks.................

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Captain Mark

..............are you guys using. Are you mounting them on your stock wheels, different wheels? Are 16 inch slicks OK, or is something better? I think I am gonna buy another set of stock TTA wheels and mount slicks on them. Is that a good way to go? Thanks in advance.

15" is better than 16" since you get more rubber on the height to work with.

Don´t bother about the look at the strip.

But 16" will of course also fill the purpose with traction.

The last 2 years i was running M&H305*16 DOT tires and they hooked up well, had them on the stock rims.

26x10 M/T slicks on 15x8 steel wheels..not pretty but deadly effective :)

1.588 ...and will do a 1.6-1.7 every single time..doesnt matter if i'm following a rice fest at the track...Slicks..pump the brake a couple times..pull on the E-brake "hard"..mash the pedal..when the needle hits 15lbs..go :eek:

I have drag radials too..but theyre touchy trying to control..On a stock turbo I had gotten a bunch of 1.6 60 foots leaving at 2-3 lbs...with good track prep..by the end of the nite..2.0's or follow a honda who drove though the water..2.3's :rolleyes: With the updated turbo..its tricky..

I would of sold you a set of BFG drag radials w/wheels I had for sale a month ago..but i've decided to keep em and torture :D

Lastly..get some frame connectors installed before you "tweak" the body..break T-tops..etc..I have South Side Machines..fwiw

ive had good luck with the M&H racemasters 305/40?/16, But they stick out a little past the wheel well, and you will get tire residue all over the roof of the car :eek:

i really didnt think my 26x11.5x16 et streets hooked as well as the racemasters, but our track hadnt been paved in over 20 years!! the et streets didnt get any tire on the roof of the car :)

if i aquire another TTA or F-BODY in the future, i will end up buying the hoosier quick time pro's and see how well they do-

HTH

The ones I use are 4.5 BS and they sitck out a bit..just a wee bit.Probably need 5.0 backspacing to be tucked in..only problm is I dont know if a 5.0 will clear the caliper.I also dunno if an aluminum wheel will fit since they tend to be thicker. I do know that 4th gen Fbods cannot use aluminum wheels without grinding on the calipers..but they are a 5.5 BS..

Lots of numbers but no real answer. I paid 100 bucks for tires w/wheels used and the chrome is flaking on the rims..but hey..what ya want for a 100 bucks...26x10 MT slicks used go pretty cheap. And will take a bazillion 1/4 passes..if you keep the burnouts in check.

HTH

I used a set of slicks on 15x7 steels with 4" b.s. I had to use an angle grinder to trim down the out side edge of the cooling fins on the calipers. Its no big deal to do. I also then went and bought a set of older firebird wheels that are 15x7 and look real similar to our stock wheels except they are aluminum finish. Iam going to paint the centers gold. Hopefully from a few feet away they will look like they match the fronts. I know I wont have to grind my calipers to make them fit because now I got drum brakes out back.;)

HTH: Jason
BTW: Mickey Thompson drag slicks are reasonably priced, And supposedly if you buy the slicks 9" wide they are made from a softer compound than the ones that are 10" wide. I have the 28 x 9's now.

What is the backspacing for the TTA rears? Is it 5.25" of backspacing? Are the GNX style wheels the same?

Thanks,

woo hoo! Ordered my new slicks and wheels today. Will have them mounted Friday morning, and will be at the track Friday night.
This should buy me an extra....what....2or 3 tenths? I'm pumped!:D

Hoosier 26 x 10's mounted on black steel 15 x 8's. Going with Razor's formula!

Well you already bought yours but I ran 26X8 Hooser QTP's on Stock 16 inch TTA wheels. Best 60ft of 1.56 with a Stock D5 convertor. 1.6s all night long on unprepped track with a worst ever 60ft of like a mid 1.7.

I like the car to still look stock, even at the track and when they have matching wheels it really makes people scratch there head :cool:

I'm with Mike I like the stock look - I run either 26x11.5x16 ET Streets or 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks(have two sets of spare wheels) - consistant mid 1.5 60fts all day any day(1.55-1.58)

Steve

Mark, make sure the wheels clear before mounting rubber..check for caliper clearance and if everything checks ok..go ahead and get them mounted.

I usually deflate mine and fold the pass rear seat down..one tire on the seat..one tire on the hump..15 dollar jack..small air compressor..couple minutes to change them. 45 gallon plastic trash bag fits over tires to keep the interior pretty.

I have a set of BFG drag radials on some stock wheels..they dont hook like the slicks do...

My wheels/slicks I got on a deal..100 bucks wheels and tires..dimples are still on them..what can I say :)

ET difference will depend on how much boost you leave the line with and how well the tires stick..pretty much..other things like timing will affect it a bit.

When I got my radials, I told the guys at discount tire that I was keeping the ET-Streets and they put them in plastic bags made for tires, store the tires in them. You should be able to get a few bags off of any descent tire store.

After thinking about it, I called and changed my order to mount the QTP's on my stock wheels. I am gonna try this first. If I don't like it, I will go the other route next time around. Either way, I will be getting power to the ground much better. Thanks for all the help on this boys. I will report my results next week. I will try to go to test and tune night Friday.

There is only a couple problems with using those tires.

First is theyre ultra sticky..so what happens is that every little rock on the road gets slung onto your quarter panels...dont ask how I know this..

Secondly...since theyre very soft, they will puncture extremely easy..dont ask how I know this..

Lastly..it better not rain or else you get the E-ticket ride..dont ask how I know this :D

I have found that driving around with regular tires..and changing them at the track to be what has worked best for me and my car.

I hear you............I'm gonna try this first, and if I am not happy with it, I will take the slicks, mount them on different wheels, and just change them out as needed. You guys have been a lot of help as usual. If I get to the track this weekend, I will post my 60's.

Back