What might a Busted Torque Converter sound like?

Blown&Injected

I thought it was just my down pipe rattlin' against something until the frequnecy of the rattle developed a pattern that exactly matched the engine RPM's.

Sounded like (although not found in our cars) a mechanical (not electric) fan blade smacking on the fan shroud - perhaps a bit metallic knock like.

I was able to get under the car -engine on- and it almost sounded like there was a knock in the bottom end on the engine.

On the highway during lock-up the sound is not noticable. If I tap the brakes the sound returns breifly and goes away again with lock-up.

From a stand still, the knock is BAD and then fades as the RPM's come up.

Any way to tell for sure?

TIA,
Steve

MINE SOUNDED LIKE SOMEONE WITH A BOX OF GRAVEL SHAKING IT UNDER MY CAR....

Originally posted by Blown&Injected
Any way to tell for sure?

Sounds like you may have killed your converter alright. :( What I would do, to further verify your suspicions, is remove the three converter-to-flexplate bolts. Push the converter back into the trans., away from the flexplate, until it bottoms out.

Crank up the engine and see if the noise is gone.

Sounds like the problem I've been having, when cold runs fine when hot noticable shudder when decelerating , then will bog upon acceration, last week took the car for a final run before the white stuff flies on returning home notice a stumble on acceleration .I stopped at the local store could smell clutch burning and lost all forward gears . I've been having a over heating problem running about 212 after about 1hr driving .
A friend of mine was a rad man 15yrs was by yesterday and suggested it was the torque converter and thought this was probably the source of the overheating as well . I'm going to pull the tranny and torque converter over the winter , hope I haven't fried the tranny it only has a few miles on it since rebuild.
Any suggestions as to upgrades for tranny and is there a special fluid I should run , the car is an '84 GN completely stock with 78000 KMs with 5000kms since rebuild , tranny suppose to have shift kit installed with stock converter .
Thanks in advance Guy Newton

Thanks for the replies and ideas
Might be a good time to try to get in on that new converter I've been reading about.