what mods should i do???

B

buickmadness

hey guys i'm new to this site, and a soon to be a 87 GN owner.
my Q is what kind of mods can i do to a 87 GN to get about 350 400 HP out of it? bigger turbo, better injecters, etc.... mind you i do live in the great state of california,
along w/ the horrably tough smog regs. so i need to keep it legal.
the guy i'm buying it from is a guy who really takes car of his car. in a year or two i do plan to do a complete rebuild of the motor and trans. haven't driven or really looked at the fluids yet!!! but i'm pretty sure it runs very well. not trying to get to expensive w/ about a $1800 to work w/ after the buy. i might sell my 72 skylark
to cover this GN. but it's worth it, time to move on.

THANKS for the time guys!!!!!!!!

A walbro 340 fuel pump, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a fuel pump hot wire kit, an adjustable wastegate regulator, a ported wastegate hole in the turbine, a super good tune-up (coilpack, module, plugs, wires, fluids, filters, set cam sensor, flush radiator), a scantool, a fuel pressure gauge, a boost gauge, and a good street computer chip should get you what you're looking for right now for less than a grand. For an additional $300, a pair of slicks and a race chip will let you go racing into the low 12s, maybe quicker. Everyone will tell you to read http://www.gnttype.org so I guess I should too.

First mod I'd recommend: scantool. Did I mention scantool? Yes, scantool. Monitor and know what is going on internally before you start doing the performance mods. This will allow you to optimize tuning first. Might save you grenading an engine if you start to get boost happy. By no means start upping boost PSI until you have a good state of tune and can monitor functions with a scantool. Scantools for our cars include scanmaster, turbolink, and directscan. TL requires a laptop. I have the first two listed and have the SM2 hard wired in the car at all times. Your budget you listed should get you some nice performance mods. Good luck and have fun.

Don't even think about a rebuild until you get over 150k miles on it. Just change the valve springs and timing chain and gears.

Thanks for the tips guys, are these ways of power smog legal by any chance???

THANKS!!!!!!!!

Lots of guys have been able to run these cars through emmisions without a cat. Just set up your exhaust so that you can swap out cats, and you will be fine. Many 9 & 10 second cars passing emmisions.