What rear end in 77-81 Trans Am?

2QWIK4U

Saw a black and gold T/A (bandit edition) must be 77-81 model in junkyard,wondering what rear end came in these cars? As in 7.5,8.2,8.5 etc.

8.5 10 bolts

they are leaf spring rear and wont work in g-body

they have a different axle tube end and the backing plates wont bolt to a g-body rear without modding (incase your thinking disk brake swap

most had posi units in them that will fit the g-body 8.5 rear but bad part is most t/a's had crappy 2 something gears but sometimes you get lucky and find one with 3 series carrier but rare

the unit would still work but would have to use a ring gear spacer if it is 2 series

did that cover it :)

I had 2.73 gears in mine and changed them to 3.42s with no problem. The carrier for 2.73 works for 3.42s. Might be worth the check. Some came with 3.08 and 3.23s. Posi is standard on second gen T/As.

I ran a 2 series out of a junkyard trans am, using a ring gear spacer for at least 75K miles. Never broke. Drum to drum sitting in my garage now for back-up.

Thanks guys.I was wanting to know cause I've been looking for a 8.5 for my dirttrack car.I can't get a 5.57 gear for a 7.5 but can for a 8.5

8.5 10 bolt, and plenty of the TA rears were disc brake as well. Mine was, but it had small gears so i swapped in a set of 3.73's.

Just thought I would mention something. I had a 79 TA with the 403 in it. It was a WS6 but it had a factory 2:41 rear in it.
They did this to help with fuel economy on the larger engines.

Matthew