You can type here any text you want

WHat should a TTA convertor have stamped on it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It should have the number 5 stamped all the way around the converter. I've also seen some 6's as well

Ok, here is what I found. After searching real good. I found some 6's that are about 1/4 maybe tall that is stamped all around it. Does this sound right? Please help me put this to rest!

From the factory the TTA is supposed to have a D5 converter. Your car is the second one I've seen with a D6. The stall of a D6 is lower thatn that of a D5(not really a performance converter). I believe the cutlass,monte and 307 regals came with the D6 converters. I took mine out less than 2 weeks ago and it was a D5.

If I remember correctly 1600-1800 for the D6 and 2100-200 For the D5. some other guys may have some other info. Go on the tranny board they'll have an answer for you in a sec.

hmmmm should have a "CBCF" if my mind is workin right...its a tag on the stock original converters from GM

Originally posted by trading t/a
From the factory the TTA is supposed to have a D5 converter. Your car is the second one I've seen with a D6. The stall of a D6 is lower thatn that of a D5(not really a performance converter). I believe the cutlass,monte and 307 regals came with the D6 converters. I took mine out less than 2 weeks ago and it was a D5.

SORRY BUT YOUR WRONG-

the TTA does not have a D5 convertor- it fits, but it is not what they came with from the factory-

Originally posted by Grumpy
hmmmm should have a "CBCF" if my mind is workin right...its a tag on the stock original converters from GM

THAT IS CORRECT!!!

its a white decal with black lettering and a green stripe on the decal-
it is only seen on the front half of the convertor(CLOSEST TO TRANS SIDE), and not around the edge like the D5-

like i said in the other post, maybe its just stamped Z like zorro would make stamped around the outer edge like the D5 is-

if your getting 2300 RPM like you stated in the tech section, then its not a D6- they stall less than 1950-

HTH
BW

Thanks again:cool: Ill check tommorrow for the sticker. If it is not there, then I dont know what to think. Ill look again for the z's.

if the sticker is gone its not the original one that was in the car...the stickers dont "fall" off

I have an original if your interested.The numbers are as follows: 8653673 in the green and CBCF in the blue section.It is stickered on both sides and has 5 stamped all around it. Also has less than 20k on it.
Turbo20th@cs.com

The TTA and the GN had the same converter. D5 CBCF. If you have a D6 you have the wrong converter.(common problem) Also to check your stall hook up a vaccum-boost gauge. Torque your car up ,when you reach 0 boost check your rpm thats your stall.

Steve K.

Dan, Hows the TTA coming?

I thought they were D5's. Does that mean some of the tranny shops replace them with 6's or did they goof up in the factory(like with the spare tire).

Originally posted by skturbo
The TTA and the GN had the same converter. D5 CBCF. If you have a D6 you have the wrong converter.(common problem) Also to check your stall hook up a vaccum-boost gauge. Torque your car up ,when you reach 0 boost check your rpm thats your stall.

Steve K.

Dan, Hows the TTA coming?

how many times do i have to say that the tta doesnt have a D5 convertor?

IT DOES NOT HAVE A D5 CONVERTOR -

Z5 8653673 CBCF

I have 7 complete TTA transmissions w/converters never been touched. I have been building TTAs since the begining.

Sometimes regular trans shops would put the wrong converter in. They will look up 200r4 in there book and see it calls for a d6. put it in and screw the car up.

Steve Kaminski

Originally posted by trading t/a
I thought they were D5's. Does that mean some of the tranny shops replace them with 6's or did they goof up in the factory(like with the spare tire).

There were no screw ups with the spare. Yes it looks like steel but put a magnet to it and you will see that it is aluminum....

Originally posted by skturbo
I have 7 complete TTA transmissions w/converters never been touched. I have been building TTAs since the begining.

Sometimes regular trans shops would put the wrong converter in. They will look up 200r4 in there book and see it calls for a d6. put it in and screw the car up.

Steve Kaminski

well then go look at the convertors and tell us what they are.. they arent D5'S
its not a big issue to me, but for the TTA'S that i have been working on, do not have the D5-

the cars ive been working on vary from low mileage low production numbered cars, all the way up to high mileaged high production cars, and none were apart till i got ahold of them-

please check those original convertors from those TTA'S and let us know what they are-
peace-
BW

All this talk about the converter.... I just went out and looked at mine. I have the sticker that says 8653673 CBCF. 5 stamped on every rib. It also has faded stenciled numbers across from the sticker. Nowhere does it have a Z5.

I can take pictures if anybody needs them.

i guess we will get pics of the one we just pulled out of a 13k TTA-

so, yours didnt say D5 OR Z5 just 5 all around it huh?

Back