WHAT THE F*#@. Went down to one gasket and still cant get atr crossover clamps on!!!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
F#@*in piece of $h*t. I should go postal on ATR! How in the hell am I supposed to put these on. I have the newer style ones. I cant get them for the life of me. ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS. Meanwhile...back at the garage, Scotts crossover sits with rtv sealant drying without a cause & every young boy and girl across the neighborhood gets a display of Scott using every form of profanity in his loudest voice.:mad:

Scott

what gasket are you talkin about? i had no trouble with my crooss over.

I broke mine tightening it to stop the leaks. kept tightening until "ping" it broke. went to a auto store and got a stainless steel exhaust clamp and used it for a week until I had the pipes welded all around.

Hey enforcer1, would that make removal and reinstallation hard? Did you have them welded while on the car? Thanks

Scott

Ok, with one gasket I had to keep it expanded and flat as I passed it over the flanges. It's work, that's for sure. Then I stripped the bolt tightening it. That was probably my fault. It didn't seem all that tight. *Snap!*

All this after getting them welded to repair all of the cracks.

Back to stock for me. The car came with the ATR headers and I've tried to like them but after reading what people are getting on the stock system, I think it's better to stay stock if you can keep them from cracking too. A replacement DS is far cheaper.

Are yours new?

Terry

Get different v band clamps. A higher quality calmp with t-bolts and slotted v bands with a seperate clamping band on the outside will work much better.

Aside from that, on some systems they will go on with one or two gaskets on others you can barely get it with no gaskets. Truth be, if you can't get it on with one gasket, they probably won't even leak with no gaskets. IMO the ATR v band clamps suck and the stainless bolts will seize causing you to break them off. Put some anti seize on them. Also, use a pair of vice grips or channel locks to squeeze the flanges toghether while trying to put the clamp on.

Chris

Ok, I loved the original clamps they gave me, which of course were easy to tighten with a pair of channel locks etc. Problem was, it was hitting the downpipe and causing it to rest against the frame. So I had to use this new clamp that atr sent me. The drivers side was easy, its the passenger side thats a pain. I am going to use a slightly smaller diameter bolt and use washers to tighten it. Hopefully It will work then.

Scott

Always remember most aftermarket parts need modification
especially whenever the vendor says bolt right on or they never
had any problems.

Talking about crossover pipes, where is a good choice and brand to get my stocker replaced? with no problems of bolting it right into place.

thanks

jojo

Scott, I only have a stock type crossover from ATR, not headers. So I did what I said above ,and then had them welded together while on the car. I never did get the weird donut gaskets to work and went gasketless. but again this was an atr replacement drivers side header and atr crossover.
good luck.