What the hell?

well the way i always understood it was that the o2 readings at WOT r merely for tuning purposes but now everyone on the board is starting to say it is very bad to tune using the stock narrow band sensors. the big thing now seems to be wideband tracking of A/F ratios. 1000 times better than tuning with a scanmaster and millivolts (which i still do aswell)

This is from Vortex buicks:
The sole function that the oem sensor performs is to signal the ecm if the exhaust gas passing over the sensor is either rich or lean with the stochiometric A/F point of 14.7 being the dividing line. It simply acts as a switch that is used to correct fueling at part throttle to optimize mileage and emissions. It is NOT used to determine fueling at wide open throttle.

Not only is the sensor extremely insensitive on either side of stochiometric, it is also affected by exhaust gas temperature. As the sensor heats or cools, its output voltage changes even if the A/F ratio does not.

Trying to use the output voltage of the stock sensor to determine an optimum A/F ratio for a given car is essentially a futile exercise due to the very nature of the sensor and the changes that may be incurred with temperature swings.

When someone says that the fueling should be adjusted to some magic number such as 765 mv, the above curve will show the futility of that effort. 765 mv might be anything from an air fuel ration of 14 to 1 to 12 to 1, or even broader depending upon the individual combination, the exhaust gas temperature, and the condition of the sensor, etc.

Note that when someone says the O2s should be 800 or whatever other magic number they like, they are referring to wide open throttle O2s. My experience has shown that Alky Injection has allowed me to safely run lower O2's on the oem sensor.

My best advice is to buy a wideband O2 in order to obtain meaningful air/fuel ratios for consistent tuning as using the factory O2s for tuning is simply a meaningless exercise except in the very broadest sense.

needless to say, its never a bad idea to replace the o2 sensor on a buick if theres a problem!:)

Yes Vortex buicks is a great site for info. ;)

Sorry, I failed to mention that I do have the New FAST A/F meter that comes with two wideband O2's. I'm only running the one O2 with a bung welded 8'' down the DP from the flange. It's a great instrument to have it has recall and all. The only bad thing is when you see it get lean when watching the recall you have no idea when it happened during the run. It's only good for a baseline. As seen on the right side of the steering column.

DSC01545.jpg

so many things to watch, how do u do it! i would need a video camera or somethin. thats a sweet setup, maybe i'll have somethin like that in the future!:D

so many things to watch, how do u do it! i would need a video camera or somethin. thats a sweet setup, maybe i'll have somethin like that in the future!:D

I have gotten very good it's not easy. :frown: It's hard coming back after a run and everyone coming over to the car asking what I ran and or what was the 60ft etc. then trying to remember what happened and wright it down then make changes. The 2step on the DIS4 helps on the launches. But seriously it's just plain stupid i need an XFI. How do you think I'm scratching at the nines. My 1/8 says 9's LOL tune,tune,tune. ;)

Been out in the garage doing some thinking and investigating. I have 2 main concerns. 1. I pulled the dipstick and it don't smell the same as the fresh quart of valvoline I compared it to:eek: . I'm also wondering if my old MAF was making my car flood, as opposed to making it run lean as they usually do when they go bad. I have a steady spitting sound coming from the exhaust at normal cruise and a slight hesitation off idle along with the idle being rougher than I believe what it should along with what feels to be a slow throttle response, like somethings holding it back (duh!). I'm also thinking I need to pull out my IAC and make sure its seating all the way when the ignition is turned off. I was told by a "good" mechanic the the iac is off enough it will cause all sorts of problems. Which I believe it is off cause I have no "fast idle flare up" and the Minimum Idle was set but the TPS and Iac were not reset if memory serves correct.
2. As far as my "smoking" prblem goes I started pulling vac lines in various places. Don't know for sure but I would think if the pcv was sucking oil it would only be in my TB, correct? I pulled vac lines off the turbo and wastegate solenoid and all have oil coated on the tips of the connectors, along with the vent on the solenoid looking oily as well. I know I don't have my drain back routed right from the turbo cause its not a strait shot. I don't know if its supposed to be over the S hose or under. But I don't believe this is my problem beings I only have a smoke screen at idle and I don't have one driving down the road.

Been out in the garage doing some thinking and investigating. I have 2 main concerns. 1. I pulled the dipstick and it don't smell the same as the fresh quart of valvoline I compared it to:eek: . I'm also wondering if my old MAF was making my car flood, as opposed to making it run lean as they usually do when they go bad. I have a steady spitting sound coming from the exhaust at normal cruise and a slight hesitation off idle along with the idle being rougher than I believe what it should along with what feels to be a slow throttle response, like somethings holding it back (duh!). I'm also thinking I need to pull out my IAC and make sure its seating all the way when the ignition is turned off. I was told by a "good" mechanic the the iac is off enough it will cause all sorts of problems. Which I believe it is off cause I have no "fast idle flare up" and the Minimum Idle was set but the TPS and Iac were not reset if memory serves correct.
2. As far as my "smoking" prblem goes I started pulling vac lines in various places. Don't know for sure but I would think if the pcv was sucking oil it would only be in my TB, correct? I pulled vac lines off the turbo and wastegate solenoid and all have oil coated on the tips of the connectors, along with the vent on the solenoid looking oily as well. I know I don't have my drain back routed right from the turbo cause its not a strait shot. I don't know if its supposed to be over the S hose or under. But I don't believe this is my problem beings I only have a smoke screen at idle and I don't have one driving down the road.

Pull the Down Pipe off and look at the blades on the turbo & also on the intake. Check for oil in the turbo & shaft play. You might be experiencing a bad turbo or I hate to say it but "A Blown Head Gasket" :eek: Lets check the turbo first. Smoke at idle is usually the bearings in the turbo failing.

yes there is oil film in the inlet side of the turbo, and in the intercooler, and actually had some wet in the uppipe. I'm figuring the seals are bad in the turbo, but would that make it fall on its face against a fricken contour? It also seems like it spooled slow when I did a little brake stand in the parking lot at work too. I shouldn't realy say "spooled slow" but it sure seemed like it took more to get them to really light up.

Was the oil milky like owl $hit?

Later if you would like pull the IAC out but carefully it's plastic and could break off inside. Spray it down with some brake clean and your ready to go. I doubt that's you're problem. :)

yes there is oil film in the inlet side of the turbo, and in the intercooler, and actually had some wet in the uppipe. I'm figuring the seals are bad in the turbo, but would that make it fall on its face against a fricken contour? It also seems like it spooled slow when I did a little brake stand in the parking lot at work too. I shouldn't realy say "spooled slow" but it sure seemed like it took more to get them to really light up.

Do you have the stock turbo with the stock intake bell on the turbo? That's completely normal if you don't have that bung caped off on the inlet bell. That's for smog. Cap it off and put a small breather on the front of the passenger side valve cover.

Car's pretty much all stock, there is some shaft play on the inlet side but haven't moved it up and down and rotated it at the same time. I read somewhere if the blades even slightly scrape the turbo is toast. I was thinkin about pullin the down ipe but got lazy. Gonna hit the sack. Always be another day. If anyone has suggestions I'll be back on in the morning. Goodnight

Car's pretty much all stock, there is some shaft play on the inlet side but haven't moved it up and down and rotated it at the same time. I read somewhere if the blades even slightly scrape the turbo is toast. I was thinkin about pullin the down ipe but got lazy. Gonna hit the sack. Always be another day. If anyone has suggestions I'll be back on in the morning. Goodnight

Yea pull the DP and take a look at the blades for chips & oil. Also check coolant make sure you don't see any oil in the rad. I would also jack it up, grab a nice big pry bar and check you crank lash. Just wedge in between the front-cover "with out prying on the front cover it will crack", and balancer and move the crank forward then backwards it should move about 6 thousandths. This is just to check you're main bearings. If it moves more than that you may want to take it to a good local GN shop. If it's been awhile since you changed the oil I would change it and look for the milkshake some times it's undetected on top. Watch for chunks of gasket if your still running the stockers.

There's only a little over 200 miles on this motor so I don't think its engine related. Possibly valve guides, but the board member I bought the heads from said they didn't have a lot of miles on them. Beings the car's been sitting for a while I'm gonna go ahead and change the oil anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if its full of gas, probably what that funk smell is from it. If I don't buy this parts car this weekend I'm gonna at least go buy a boost/vac gauge after I pull the dp and other crap. I might even unhook the cat, or remove it and see what it does then. I do have another new 02 sittin in the garage I could try also. Might even throw in some new plugs. Blackbandit is the only one that knows what that old MAF was doing. He said it was doing some pretty wack stuff. Gotta feeling it was making it run pig rich cause when it would die on me it would backfire out the exhaust like a shotgun a couple times. All things aside, its nice having a car that will actually idle at a stop light now.

yea, ive been through 4 maf's on my car and every single one acted different. one idled really bad, next one hiccuped under any sort of load, then i got a miscalibrated one, and my current one runs like a champ! for now!!!

I think he's running a maf and translator setup. Let us know when you get those scan readings. You could check some of your base settings with a regular multimeter.

Now I remember why beer and cars don't mix...

Got home and checked tps, .41, GOOD! Decided to pull a plug. GUess what? The damn adapter was still screwed into the head on number one cylinder from when I did compression check, with the spark plug in it:rolleyes: . Dumas;) . There's one problem solved! I suppose I better change oil now for sure. I can only imagine the amount of fuel that is in the oil from not firing. Didn't notice any smoke on start up when I did let it run for a second though-

Got home and checked tps, .41, GOOD! Decided to pull a plug. GUess what? The damn adapter was still screwed into the head on number one cylinder from when I did compression check, with the spark plug in it:rolleyes: . Dumas;) . There's one problem solved! I suppose I better change oil now for sure. I can only imagine the amount of fuel that is in the oil from not firing. Didn't notice any smoke on start up when I did let it run for a second though-

Thats good.

I hope that's the problem, that would be such a nice relief.

Good Luck ;)