You can type here any text you want

What the trick to removing chip from holder?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
I've been poking and pushing on this thing for a while and am afraid I'm going to break it, but how do you remove the chip from the plastic holder??
Looks like the pins are locked in a tiny groove to keep it from being pushed out the bottom....

I hold the chip in my left hand and use my thumb to puch down on the chip kinda like pushing a syringe plunger and my right hand and thumb to pull to the side, one side, on the chip holder. If you can get one side of pins free you can usually then push from the top side of the chip holder and the chip will rotate out of the holder.
HTH

Pretty much just like Mark said.

Take your thumb and push the chip further up into the carrier to help disengage the pins (you'll be pushing against the force of the plastic springs). Keep holding it down, and take your other thumb and pull one side of the holder to pull it away from the pins. You should see the pins pull away from the side of the holder. If they all pull away, slowly let your thumb off the chip, but still hold the side away from the pins. Hopefully, one side should be free. If any of the pins are still stuck, try it again. Then I turn it over and continue to shove it out with a pen or something.
PS. This may not work if you have thumbs the size of a bratwurst.

Eric

Ok, thanks, I see now how they disengage when pushed the opposite way, but dam there's got to be an easier way, my fingers are so sore already from working on a wire fence all day, I can barely push the tabs apart they hurt so bad, guess I'll try tomorrow.
Thanks

On the side of the holder with the larger tabs, push the holder so as to bend the prongs of the chip inwards. Once you have the prongs bent away from the inside of the holder, push the chip out from the top. Easy and takes about 2 seconds unless you're using AMD blanks then all bets are off.

Get some desoldering braid.
Clip the plastic socket out.
Desolder the piins from the ecm.
Drill thru the holes with a .040 drill
Go to Rat Shack and get a little PC board with the traces on it.
Get some headers.
From Digi-Key some ZIF sockets.
Resholder as necessary.
It a no brainer after you do a few.
Sell off your holders for $20 a piece and retire to FL.

The ZIF socket deal makes life so much easier. Or so a regular socket and then get a Craig Moates Switcher, so you can run 8 chips at a time, on a EEPROM, and no more having to erase stuff.

Or get a BFH........

Thanks all, but the thumb trick seems to work fairly easy now that my fingers have rested up, now its time to start exploring with the GN after mastering the TPI programs on my truck.

All fine contributions, but to quote David Letterman, the number one answer is:

Send me your holders with chips in them and I'll send back the chips. It's much too dangerous to be attempted by untrained personnel. I'll just hang on to the holders for safekeeping.

:) :) :)

Back