You can type here any text you want

What to do to keep a ttop t-type together on good tires with power

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1badbuford

After talking to a few people I have a few reservations about putting slicks on my car due to body twist. It is an 87 t- type with t- tops.
What can you do short of a full cage to keep the body twist down? Should be in the low 11's or high tens by the time I'm done.
Thanks

HR bar and I built a rear seat firewall out of 16g steel, and bolted it every 5 inches with 3/8" bolts. Really stiffened the car. I have been in the 10's, 9's, 8's for 6 years with no cage until now. I do have slight waves on the driver's 1/4 from the launch buckle.

forcefed3.8's said:
HR bar and I built a rear seat firewall out of 16g steel, and bolted it every 5 inches with 3/8" bolts. Really stiffened the car. I have been in the 10's, 9's, 8's for 6 years with no cage until now. I do have slight waves on the driver's 1/4 from the launch buckle.

Can you send me a pic of the rear seat brace ?

pacecarta said:
the tinman is a copy of the GNX brace (also found in the pontiac GranPrix)
gbody parts also sells that one http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=743&osCsid=4fb462a760c5d4039de0b084f1aea2cf

if you do the rear seat firewall with thick enough steel or 1/8" aluminum the gnx brace is not needed
the firewall covers the entire open area of the rear seat and secures it at all sides and the existing brace

I was hoping someone had a firewall already done and ready to go, I know for other cars like mustangs they have a couple of vendors that have firewalls pre-fabbed. . Guess I will pull the back seat out and etch a template and go to a metal shop around here . If anyone in Houston sees this and knows of a good cage/ and sheet metal fab shop let me know....
Thanks

the tinman is a copy of the GNX brace (also found in the pontiac GranPrix)
gbody parts also sells that one http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=743&osCsid=4fb462a760c5d4039de0b084f1aea2cf

if you do the rear seat firewall with thick enough steel or 1/8" aluminum the gnx brace is not needed
the firewall covers the entire open area of the rear seat and secures it at all sides and the existing brace
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=839&osCsid=0415eccb410e126f15a5b7ebbf857928

Does that stiffen it up? Or would additional bracing be required ?
This is the best way I can explain it. This will give you a visual. Imagine you build a shed wall from 2x4's . You can rack the frame wall left & right pretty easily. Then you secure a piece of plywood to it. Now the wall is stiff & can't be racked. Sort of the same idea. This is usually how I explain it over the phone when some one askes me about it.

Got it....

Just asking a lot of questions to see exactly what all everyone is doing, I would hate to screw up the car with torque .

Thanks to all

Got it....

Just asking a lot of questions to see exactly what all everyone is doing, I would hate to screw up the car with torque .

Thanks to all
If your making a lot of Power be safe & go with a cage. If you ever want to restore it you can remove. Better safe then sorry.
You have a lot of good advice here, braces, HR bar, etc . Hr bar will not hurt it. The braces will not hurt it.

Hr bar in mine + roll bar no issues as of yet. I also have the rear seat braces but who knows if they do anything

Back