You can type here any text you want

What to do with .40 over original block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bluegate

My original block is good, but .40 over. It had some serious metal flakes go through it, so just wondering what you would do with it. I'm building a different motor to go back in.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Coffee table or if it's still usable keep it as a back up

My original block is good, but .40 over. It had some serious metal flakes go through it, so just wondering what you would do with it
It depends… If your car is a "matching numbers" car and you want to keep that way, then have 6 sleeves installed in the block (to the standard size) and have it rebuilt with standard size pistons and it'll be good as new.

Claude. ;)

Your car will always be more valuable if you have the original block even if it's damaged, but can be repaired.

I can make you some .041 over pistons if you want to keep it as a backup.

Your car will always be more valuable if you have the original block even if it's damaged, but can be repaired.

I wonder how many of us TB owners checked, or even asked if it was a numbers matching car. I can't remember the last time I saw a car on here advertising numbers matching.

This car came with a 3.8, (pointing at the eng bay) that's a 3.8. See... numbers match. :p

Oh and your .40 over block build it... or if you need a boat anchor that will work too.

I was leaning towards sleeving it. Any issues getting standard size pistons, or is it just cheaper to find redily available 10 or 20 over?

Standards are just as easy to get as any other OD.

I'd price out sleeving, boring, and honing all 6 holes before you commit to spending money on a block that doesn't need it. You might change your mind about removing a bunch of metal just to add back 20 thousands of in inch.

I was leaning towards sleeving it. Any issues getting standard size pistons, or is it just cheaper to find redily available 10 or 20 over?

.040 is not a problem. We have run them as much as .060 over. What exactly is your concern?

.040 is not a problem. We have run them as much as .060 over. What exactly is your concern?
I bought another used shortblock, because a local Buick guy told me it was a bad idea to use my block since it was already .40 over.

Another lesson learned, obviously. I just got over being annoyed with the jack off that sold me the car. Annoyed all over again.

Every one has an opinion. You will find life easier if you deal with someone who has experience with turbo Buick's. The block is still good. A custom piston (like mentioned above) can also be made to any size.

I've met many 'experts' that think anything more than .010" or .030" on a block means it's junk. It doesn't even matter if the journals start out huge compared to a SBC....

I'm curious how many of those 'experts' know how big a thousandths really is?

For example, the difference between a perfectly fine .030" overbore and a POS junk .040" is 5 thousandths of meat. i just measured a piece of printer paper and it read 4.5 thousandths.

Back