what turbo should i run

fast84gn

tire roaster
with the mods below what turbo should I be running? Im in Wyoming at 6000 feet if that maters? I want a turbo that spools up really fast!!!!! i have an aftermarket turbo on it now but i hate it, it is way faster than stock but does not spool up as fast as the stock one. i got it off of here but i don't realy know what turbo it is? is there any numbers on it that will tell what it is?

I found out last night what turbo im running? is this a good turbo?

Turbonetics Cheetah turbo with the Super H compressor wheel and a .82 exhaust housing
larger compressor inlet and wheel
The wheel is very similar to the 60 series turbos
Also note the compressor housing is very similar to the stock in shape, but incorporates an integral inlet bell

You need to figure out what turbo you have first. A simple tune up or chip change may make all the difference in the world. Spoolup is not the end all be all. With the stock turbo on my combo all it would do is light up the tires when I hit the gas. Pretty useless power if you ask me. With a properly match turbo and converter it should fly. You may want to just get a converter that matches the turbo. No sense in going slower!

this will sound dumb BUT THATS WHT I WANT!!! i want it to burn the tires. i like how poeple freak out when that stock turbo spools up and you get smashed back in the seat. i don't take the car to the track. in fact i have had the car for a year now and have not put 2000 miles on it yet?

can you give us some info on your current turbo? there should be some writings on the housings, measure the compressor and turbine wheels, what are the inlet and outlet diameters, etc. as far as a different turbo ive heard nothing but good things about te44's and ta49's. they spool up VERY quickly. i cant wait till i get my new tranny w/a 3K stall converter and the TA49 in:) they also only require a stock D5 or slightly looser i.e. 2800 stall converter.

I think that your slow spool problem is due to the combination of a stock convertor and that .82 exhaust housing. I have a 44/.63 with the stock convertor and its still a little laggy. As long as you have the stock torque convertor, you won't find a aftermarket turbo that spools as fast as the stock turbo.

HTH,
Ryan

I have a TA-49 and is spooled up to 23lb @ the 60" mark with the turbo spooled up to 6lb by the tree. Highly recommended!!;)

Hey black6pack how does you converter work with that turbo and do you have any times yet ?

this will sound dumb BUT THATS WHT I WANT!!! i want it to burn the tires. i like how poeple freak out when that stock turbo spools up and you get smashed back in the seat.

put on a bigger turbo and impress them when ur cruising at 65, floor it, and leave stripes on the highway :eek:

surej

ok sounds good DR what turbo do i need to do that???? im not in to changing the convertor way to much work!!!

If the car has good top end, I'd recommend you spend the money on a convertor. You can buy my Cal Hartline 2800 stall 12" convertor (only 2K on it with nothing wrong) yourself, orucan spend another minumum of $400 for another mystery used turbo and swap it out. So you either pay money outta your butt for another turbo and minumum labor, or you can spend less on a convertor and do alot of work.

cheetah turbo

This might be jumping the gun alittle bit but if u want to get rid of that turbo shoot me a P.M. I might be interested. Just got ripped off buy dfisher and I need a turbo.

afterer reviewing your situation, this is what i would do.

1. replace your .81 housing with a .63. a new one is about 150
there are a lot of used ones floating around.

or

2. get an art carr 9" or vigilante convertor.

good luck

surej

yea i would sell it!!!
ill start looking for a smaller housing.
why do they put the bigger housing on it?

Originally posted by DR BOOST
afterer reviewing your situation, this is what i would do.

1. replace your .81 housing with a .63. a new one is about 150
there are a lot of used ones floating around.

or

2. get an art carr 9" or vigilante convertor.

good luck

surej

I'll second that. Change the housing back to the .63 and should take care of your lag. I seen a TTA at Bristol this year pick-up .7 tenths by going back to a .63 on a stock set-up. Problem was he could not start building boost until about a 100 feet out.