what would you do?

jlat

hello people; My 86T has about 120,000 miles on it. The engine was rebuilt a little before I got it. The turbo is stock but original. I did buy a rebuilt stock turbo from a member here but would you change it out if your getting some work done? How do you know when it's time to change out a turbo? The one in the car seems fine but what are the signs of a tired turbo?
IBBY

#1 sign, smoke.

#2 sign, end play in the center shaft.

You bought a rebuilt one, why not use it as something other than a shelf space filler? :D

#1 sign, smoke.

#2 sign, end play in the center shaft.

You bought a rebuilt one, why not use it as something other than a shelf space filler? :D

Ditto! Smoke, smoke and more smoke! You may also see oil in the intercooler / throttle body area

Ditto! Smoke, smoke and more smoke! You may also see oil in the intercooler / throttle body area

Exactly, the exhaust downpipe and inlet the to the INTERCOOLER, not the FRICKIN' "INNERCOOLER" , as so many here refer to it as............ Just what the hell is an "innercooler", anyway? Even autospell tells you it's wrong for Cripe's sake!

That shit drives me crazy...... You would think most guys here would really know just what the fuck they own....and what the name of the part(s) that are attached to the engine might be, but NO.

Rant Over.

Last edited:
Lol bet there's a wad of chewing tobacco firmly planted in cheek when one said innercooler, anyway jlat one theory on combos is build around the innercooler, you have a pte slic so skies the limit just depends on how many things u wanna throw money at cuz a mismatch will make it slower than it is now.

Friggin' Innnercoolers,,, scourge of the earth............ :D:D:D

hello people; My 86T might smoke a little at first startup of the day but nothing to worry about IMO. Sometimes just changing out good parts is not a good idea. Turbos might be different but I've only owned one. I'll think about it more but any more comments?
IBBY