You can type here any text you want

Whats best for tuning?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
Im looking into tuning and wondering what would be best to replace the stock computer with a chip. Just wondering if it would make a big difference in tuning and getting some more power out of it.

Also going to start a hybird buildup and thinking of tuning it with a standard trans.

you dont think after market tuning is going to do any good?

What about for trying to run a stick mated to this thing.

Use the search feature. Manuals have been discussed at length.

I have been following your threads.....you seem to be all over the map concerning your car. Stage II, trucks, making movies, building an import, etc....

Unless you are planning on running real fast, standalone engine management is not needed. Stock Ecm's with proper tuning and chips are going very fast.

These engines don't wrap up much more than 5200-5500 rpm, a manual would scatter the performance.

It's a pretty good package as it sits. An auto TR will leave you at the lights if you had a manual.

Congrats on the twins by the way. Just had a set myself. Time is no longer a relevant theory to me, especially with a 5 year old floating around too.

I'm on the hunt for another TR, but i have not found time to peruse anything.

Use the search feature. Manuals have been discussed at length.

I have been following your threads.....you seem to be all over the map concerning your car. Stage II, trucks, making movies, building an import, etc....

Unless you are planning on running real fast, standalone engine management is not needed. Stock Ecm's with proper tuning and chips are going very fast.

These engines don't wrap up much more than 5200-5500 rpm, a manual would scatter the performance.

It's a pretty good package as it sits. An auto TR will leave you at the lights if you had a manual.

I was wondering about the manual cause I was wanting to throw the 240sx together later one and figured a stand alone would help with the power curve so I didnt get my butt whooped so bad.

The movie thing is something that we are talking about cause of hollywoods poor job of things. More less for fun.

Stage 2 will happen later (after Im done experimenting with the recipes)

Breaking done in the 9s or faster would be nice but not going to happen to for awhile..

Congrats on the twins by the way. Just had a set myself. Time is no longer a relevant theory to me, especially with a 5 year old floating around too.

I'm on the hunt for another TR, but i have not found time to peruse anything.

Thank you for that, but she lost the babys and I know I never said nothing just been trying not to think about it.

Keep moving forward my friend.

Nines have been done regularly with stock equipment.

Yea, I figured it had been I just been doing alot of reading and thinking about to many things.

If your goal really is a nine, I would ask the guys who have already been there. By the time you buy the Power logger, TT chip, and Scanmaster you are real close to the cost of a used aftermarket ecu. This doesn't include a WBO2 and other options that you may or may not want like MAF or 3bar MAP, injector drivers, etc.. I normally don't get involved in this type of stuff, but I have tuned a stick shift Buick V6 and they can be tricky with stalling, lugging the engine, and TPS enrichment.

Here's one I found today:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/337407-fast-efi.html

Nick's right!

I have about $1,200.00 in the s/m-p/logger system even w/buying some stuff off of the parts-for-sale forum.:eek: It would Be hard to beat $750.00! You will have to learn how to tune w/the fast, as it requires a good understanding of the system. the FT/B.Bailey P/Logger system is much simpler and does a great job as well.:cool:

Manual trans + Buick V6 = hard to control power.

gets real peaky real fast with a manual, especially if your running a light flywheel.

also, crank flex is an issue with the manual. eats pilot bearings if you wrap to high.

but once you get the hang of the power flow.... man is a buick fun with a stick

A.j.

Yea, I figured it had been I just been doing alot of reading and thinking about to many things.

Since this topic includes ECU options as discussed;
TT SD chip $180
PL $260
Maffless, priceless! :cool:

I am not listing the WB or MAP since that will be required with or without the stock ECM.
Now, if you plan on going SII and run close to the limit, save the money, bite the bullet, get the aftermarket ECU and be done with it.

Really, you have a short and long term goal. (Recipe's and SII)
By the time you build the SII, the aftermarket ECU and tuning cost are peanuts . . . . . . and you will need to spend the peanuts before you make peanut butter of the SII. :eek: ;)

If your goal really is a nine, I would ask the guys who have already been there. By the time you buy the Power logger, TT chip, and Scanmaster you are real close to the cost of a used aftermarket ecu. This doesn't include a WBO2 and other options that you may or may not want like MAF or 3bar MAP, injector drivers, etc.. . . .

Cal,
One question I have is regarding KR on the aftermarket ECU’s.
I know most (??) have this function, but, can you answer how the KR feature compares in “reaction time” (Decay/recovery rate) to the stock ECU?

I am not listing the WB or MAP since that will be required with or without the stock ECM.

Almost all the aftermarkets come with a WBO2. So that cost would be a consideration. Most used systems (like the one I posted above) also include the 3 bar MAP

Cal,
One question I have is regarding KR on the aftermarket ECU’s.
I know most (??) have this function, but, can you answer how the KR feature compares in “reaction time” (Decay/recovery rate) to the stock ECU?

Like nearly every other function on the computer, it is programable. You pick the attack and decay rates along with the Maximum retard. As far as the processor speed is considered, I would have to research it, but would be real suprised if the stock 25 year old computer is faster, but I could be wrong.

I want to reiterate, I am not saying the aftermarket ecu is better for everyone, I am just saying the farther you stray from the "norm" it becomes a much more viable option.

If your goal really is a nine, I would ask the guys who have already been there. By the time you buy the Power logger, TT chip, and Scanmaster you are real close to the cost of a used aftermarket ecu. This doesn't include a WBO2 and other options that you may or may not want like MAF or 3bar MAP, injector drivers, etc.. I normally don't get involved in this type of stuff, but I have tuned a stick shift Buick V6 and they can be tricky with stalling, lugging the engine, and TPS enrichment.

Here's one I found today:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/337407-fast-efi.html

Cal, Thanks for the plug. Potential buyer has not confirmed that they were willing to pay shipping, so still may be available.

Allan G.

Have you considered....

[QUOTE

What about for trying to run a stick mated to this thing.[/QUOTE]

Lonnies (extreme-automatics) clutched 400? That might be an option for you:confused::biggrin::cool:

Back