You can type here any text you want

What's going on now?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
My car= 80 sport coupe 231 turbo. Rebuilt with forged pistons, stock cam,turbo,carb. Motor has like 16 miles on it.

For some reason today when i got home from work to go cruise in my car to get the motor broke in it has a "miss". Out of gear you can hear the miss but it works through it. In gear the car dies when given gas. It just started doing this all of the sudden. I fiddled with timing and idle screws but no change. Choke is opening fine. There was only two things that were questionable to me. First i was looking at my temp guage and noticing that the car wasn't getting hotter that 140 degrees(this was idling of course). Second, with the swapping of motors and such(i have a 79 with an 80 motor) it only has about a foot and a half of exhaust off the turbo outlet. Can this cause any problems?

Ok, i went out to fart with the car today and everything was A ok. I drove it around and it ran probably the best it has yet. But when i got back home it started doing it again. I disconnected my pecv and the miss went away and it stopped puffing out black smoke. Is my pecv hooked up wrong. I have it so it has vac at idle and when the yellow boost light kicks on it shuts off vac.

I believe the PECV's vacuum runs through a thermal switch (TVS) first, so maybe thats why it ran good, then bad. Stopping the vacuum siganl under boost is right. Without the vacuum, the power valve opens up.

It sound like maybe the power valve is corectly opening under no vacuum/boost, but not closing again when vacuum to restored. I'm not sure why disconnecting it helps.

Here's the vacuum diagram for a 1980:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/vac80abfed.JPG

Back