You can type here any text you want

whats the biggest 16X8 tire that will fit?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XxDarkSidexX

Banned
I just got a set of 16X8 wheels; and would like to know if I can run a 295 bfg radial ta tire. Even if I have to rent that fender roller unit, im okay with that. Only because I have gnx flares so im not too worried.

so whats the biggest 16X8 wide tire you can fit?

GNX flares make no difference on how much room you have, they're just a cosmetic addition to the fender, it doesn't actually give you more room.

295 should fit, it depends on the offset of your wheels of course. Depending on the offset of your wheel the tire will either be closer to the frame or the fender. Instead of rolling the fenders you could just run air bags, I think that would give you enough of a safety cushion that the tires would never bounce up and hit the body. But I'm also curious about that myself, I want to get some 10" wide rears and I wanna know a good way to keep the rear raised up so they won't rub.

I have hotchiks uppers and lowers, and sway, with air bags, and extremly stiff racing shocks. Think 295 bfg radial ta would fit?? ANYONE tired it? The rims are riken wheels with a 20mm offset.

darkside

20mm offset is about 5.25 inches of backspacing. I would be worried more about the inner fender rubbing than the outter. If you really want to run those wheels get a set of adapters. If you go that route you can position the wheel exactly where you want it in the wheel well so it won't rub.

Wouldn't a 20mm offset only be about 4.8 backspace? 20mm = .79 inches.

Either way, what 84TX said is still valid, that's dangerously close to the frame, if not already rubbing. You might want adapters like he mentioned, that's what I had to do to get my 18s to fit.

Once you get the wheels on there in a good position, then you should be okay with 295s and airbags. I'll probably be running 325s will no notching or anything.

i am fine with wheel spacers how much or how thick i should say would i need for a 295 bfg radial ta tire to fit without frame notching?? I am willing to roll my fenders and run a spacer if i need to. I am basically willing to do most anything to get the 295 bfg radial tire to fit in the rear. The fronts ill run normal tires but i want some meat on the back. My wheels come in on thursday :)

darkside

Well take pictures when you do... I ran 275s but only needed air bags... put them on and then see what you need is my advice!

Again...fitting the 295s isn't why you need spacers, the spacers are because the wheel itself probably won't even fit without hitting the frame. You need to space the rear wheels about 1/2 inch out from the car. Once you have the wheels spaced right, the 295s are not a problem. You should not need to roll the fender lips if you have air bags, keep some air pressure in them at all times and it should stop them from ever getting near the fender. Even without airbags, I think you'd have to be making a pretty sharp/fast turn to get the body to roll over so far that it's going to touch the tire. Unless you're going to autocross the thing I don't think you'll ever make a sharp enough turn that your fender will lean over into the tire.

So, your wheels have almost a 5" BS, you need to space them away from the frame. Then your 295s should work. I'm running 275s right now and still have room.

Wouldn't a 20mm offset only be about 4.8 backspace? 20mm = .79 inches.

Either way, what 84TX said is still valid, that's dangerously close to the frame, if not already rubbing. You might want adapters like he mentioned, that's what I had to do to get my 18s to fit.

Once you get the wheels on there in a good position, then you should be okay with 295s and airbags. I'll probably be running 325s will no notching or anything.

backspacing and offset are not measured from the same place. Offset uses the tire bead and backspacing uses the outter lip. Thats where the extra .5 inches of backspacing comes from.

I'm just guessing but for those wheels, a 1.25" adapter would be what you need, but like I said, just get the 295s mounted and put the wheels in the wheel well. Then you can fit them and measure how much of a spacer you really need.

295/50/16 fit without notching the frame. You will need wheel spacers though. Pic is in my sig, but my rears are 16x10's.

Pic is in my sig, but my rears are 16x10's.

I covet your wheels :eek:

I'm trying to figure the best way of getting some wheels without tracking you down :D The part that has my stumpt is the tires. I'm going to run DRs but not sure if it's better to run a 16x8 or 16x10 wheel due to tire selction? Also, I don't have any GTA wheels and read there is different types like one pice and two pice wheels. They also got some clone ARE's. Is there one wheel that is better than the other wheel? Also did Brian powder coat those wheels for you?

Thanks
Ray

The best guy to contact with that is Brian. I had 4 front GTA rims that I was using. Brian did his magic with 2 of them for the rears with 10" shells. Not sure which rim is better to work with over the other. Brian can also powder coat the rims for ya. He did that with mine and looked real good black. But my fronts rims were white like the color of my car, so they just got sanded and repainted to the colour of the fronts. I was looking into drag radials for my car as well, but the biggest size (width wise) looked no bigger then the size 225. I like the look of a wide tire on the back as long as it doesn't look like Joe Dirt with the tire hanging out of the fender.
new.jpg

I was looking into drag radials for my car as well, but the biggest size (width wise) looked no bigger then the size 225. I like the look of a wide tire on the back as long as it doesn't look like Joe Dirt with the tire hanging out of the fender.

I was thinking of a M/T DR (255-50-16) using some of Brian's widend GTA wheels. Do you think these will fit and not stick out past the fenders?

255s would not stick out from the fenders, my 275s are still tucked under the car, if you can tell in the picture.

take some back spacing mearsurements yourself before you get 10" shells put on, and let him know what you are looking for. Keep in mind, I have a rolled fender lip with no molding on my car.

Back