You can type here any text you want

What's the widest you can go on stock rims before having to put 50's on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CombatComProg

What's the widest you can go on stock rims before having to put 50's on the back? I've read here that 275/60's are too tall. What about 255/60's? I currently have 235/60's on all four stock rims and would like to go as wide as possible on 60's since tirerack offers a lot more brands at that height.

275/60's aren't too tall. They will throw your speedo off 7%, but for a high torque, low revving V6, they are great.

CombatComProg said:
What's the widest you can go on stock rims before having to put 50's on the back?
There are two issues here width and height.

As a rule to thumb you do now want to go much over two inches wider than the rim you are using. Therefore a 7 inch rim should only have a 9 inch wide tire. At 25.4 mm per inch that would be tire size 228.6. Therefore maybe a maximum of 245 or really streatching the rule of thumb 255. When you go that wide you will want to do some burnouts to see what air pressure gives you a full width patch, then stick with that pressure. Since the side wall bulges so much you may have to use a slightly lower pressure to get a full tire contact with the pavement. If course we are not advising anybody to do this.

A 275 50 15 tire is slightly under 26 inches in diameter which is the stock 215 65 15 tire height. I know my GN like the stock diameter tire. If you go 275 60 15 you might be better off with 3.73 gears. A lot of racers prefer the taller tire, since it has more footprint area getting off the line.

I use an 8 inch rim for my 275 50 15 tires, so the tires are about 2.8 inches wider than the rim. There is quite a bit is sidewall bulge.

Back