You can type here any text you want

Whats your winter plans?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Postal,
Just a couple of things in reference to your original post.
#6: I would refrain from wrapping your headers and have them jet hot coated instead. Both my pop and I have had headers that were wrapped and both of us had our headers litterly fall apart due to what I believe was over heating them and moisture. The wrap works SO WELL that the headers get SO HOT that the metal gets fatigued and breaks down due to repeated heat cycling...trust me here! You could almost punch holes through them with a screw driver. My opinion is that the gauge of the metal is too thin and the heat kills em. TTA headers are way too hard to find to risk it IMO. The is no denying that the wrap increases exhaust velocity and decreases under hood temps, but the cons out weigh the pros here. If you run your EGT's anywhere near what I do (1650º+) you can damn near melt metal with heat like that. Last thing you want to do is make them any more hot.

#5: I like the way you think and it sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't have GM and all the fast cars over the last 17 years done this if it worked? If you do it and it works please let me know, I'm open to any suggestions to make my car faster!

#2: The 400 tranny weighs a lot more than the 200 and takes quite a bit more HP to turn, thus a loose/loose situation on both ends. If you want BIG stall, an option would be to go to a #6 pump Precision Industries 9" converter (~3800 rpm stall depending on what kind of power your motor makes) with a 5 disc lock up that will handle about any power you will make anytime soon. This way you have the overdrive of the 200, the reduced weight, the reduced parasitic drag, BIG stall to launch with and a 1:1 ratio when locked and the car stays stock as far as the driveline is concerned. The 200 can be built damn near bullet proof these days, no need to worry about that.

#1: Tranny Brake...pushing problem solved and killer 60' times to boot! I had WELL over 100 tranny brake passes on my STOCK tranny before the clutches took a poop...and that was a 15k mile tranny with nothing more than a shift kit.

My winter projects:

Fabricate some kind of IC scoop and fresh air intake.
R&R tranny fluid and filter.
R&R fuel filter.
R&R oil and filter.
R&R plugs.
R&R diff fluid.
R&R slicks.
Chase exhaust leak and fix.
Possibly a roll bar and harnesses???
Detail engine bay.
Claybar hood and wax rest of body.
Have body shop fix a few small rock chips from Indy.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
#5: I like the way you think and it sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't have GM and all the fast cars over the last 17 years done this if it worked? If you do it and it works please let me know, I'm open to any suggestions to make my car faster!

Actually GM does this on most of the newer cars, just not ours. Postal, your logic is sound.

Both my pop and I have had headers that were wrapped and both of us had our headers litterly fall apart

I have read some thing like this along time ago. In that book they said not to wrap them because your pipes would rott. I thought since these are supposed to be stainless steel that they would be ok. Looks like you might have saved me some dough. Does any one have any idea how much it cost to have them Jet Hot coated? I also wonder if Jet hot will hold up to the temps of high boost turbo action.

turbo joe: what kind of things did you notice when you wrapped your pipes? less lag? better pull? Lets say if Jet Hot told me like $300 to do them do you think it would be worth it? Lets assume the coating will make my headers last longer so thats worth a few bucks right there. How much $$'s worth of peformance gain do you feel would be had from this? $50, $100, $200 ??? I'm not going to hold you to any specifics. I just want a decent guess.

TIA: Jason

To be honest with ya, unless your looking for that certain "clean" look under the hood, personally I cannot justify the cost to jet hot the headers and DP for the minimal performance gains you will see. Yes it will decrease under hood temps, and yes it might help with spool-up just a fuzz. If your coolant runs at ~160º, your chip is programmed correctly in the lower RPM range, and you have the correct converter for the turbo your using, then you should have all the spool-up you can use and your engine should not run hot. When I had my headers and DP wrapped it was very obvious that the under hood temps were lower; hell you could damn near touch the DP while the motor was hot. I cannot say for sure the wrap helped my spool-up as I went to a higher stall converter around the same time. I wish I could hand you my headers through the computer to look at in person, you would dismiss the wrap idea ASAP. My pop has his THDP jet hot coated and it seems to be holding up well....maybe a higher grade/thickness metal over that of the factory headers??? The jet hot looks really nice and clean, so it's basically a matter of do you have the extra $$$ to spend? If it's a performance thing your looking for, spend the $$$ elsewhere. The gains from a jet hot coating are going to be SO MINIMAL you'll wish you spent that cash on something else.

did a search on this board and found this:

http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/new_page_4.htm

v6 shorty headers $175 pr. 2000 deg coating.

http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/headercoatings.html

JET-HOT 2000™ - Formulated for very high temperatures, this rugged matte-gray coating protects substrates up to 2,450°F, heat levels sometimes encountered in Rodding and Off-Road applications

http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm

Unlike other "2000° F" coatings, HiPerCoat Extreme is a true thermal barrier and is even FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) certified
On-track testing has shown as much as a 35% reduction in under hood ambient temperature and more than 50% reduction in component skin temperature. HPC's HiPerCoat Extreme process achieves this by creating a thermal barrier which retains the heat within the exhaust system. In turbocharged applications this coating helps increase turbo boost and spool-up. Independent testing of a turbocharged Mazda engine has shown a 5% increase in horsepower when HiPerCoat Extreme was used on the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe.

Today's leading CART, NASCAR, IMSA, and F-1 teams use HPC's HiPerCoat Extreme process with winning success, where it easily withstands temperatures reaching 2,500° F. But race cars are not the only candidates for HiPerCoat Extreme. Sport compact cars, towing vehicles, motorhomes and buses also benefit from reduced under hood temperatures which help to prolong component life and promote passenger comfort

Jason

Thanks for the input. My dads turbo gold wing was ALWAYS broke when I would come home on leave from the Navy. By the time I got out he had sold it because he got tired of braking drive train parts. Anyway I never drove the bike but have heard all the stories lots of times. He keeps telling me I need to wrap my headers because it made such a BIG difference on his bike. Maybe he's just full of crap. All those years of "roll your own" special cigarretes may have cought up with him finally. O'well he's still my dad. :)

Jason

I wouldn't say your pop is FOC or smoked a few too many, it prolly worked on his application as I'm sure it works on others as well. All I'm trying to say is that the stock headers on the TTA and the TR's WILL eventually fall apart with the wrap on them...not a matter of if....it's a matter of when. You may wrap yours and get 50k miles with no problems, or you may get 5 miles. I believe it's the constant heat cycling and the extreemely high EGT's our cars see is what kills them. Good luck!

Just to get my car back running correctly again :(

Spring I will hopefully be looking for low 11's.

Back