Wheel stud removal with one of these tools?

tom h

I don't want to pound out rear axle studs with a hammer!

To remove stud while axle is still in place, I'm thinking to locate a setup like the J6627A tool, shown below.

Or maybe something like the OTC-7315 pittman arm remover. But throat depth on the OTC tool may not be deep enough.

Wondering if anyone's tried it this way, and any tips. TIA.

Attachments

• J-6627A wheel stud remover.jpg
    J-6627A wheel stud remover.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 3,495
  • OTC-7315A Tie Rod End Remover.jpg
    OTC-7315A Tie Rod End Remover.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,018
Personally, I'd whale the stud with a hammer, but looking at the picture of the tool - I'd think a good quality C-Clamp with a socket on the back side large enough for the stud to back into would work O.K. Good Luck!

Go to Autozone and rent a ball joint removal tool, it looks similiar (its a giant c-clamp) to the first picture. Best part, it free.

lugnut and BFH

stick an open ended lugnut on the stud flush with the end of it. then knock it out with a hammer. that way you dont damage the end of the stud or threads. when i worked for firestone thats how i did it when i needed to reuse a stud. that tool is nice but i think it a waste of money and time. jeremy :)

Brass Hammer will take them out without marking the treads..

Place the brass hammer on the stud and hit it with another hammer (that way you don't miss :)

stud removal

There's an easier way. Go to studpuller.com to see a demo of a stud remover that is fast and easy to use. It is very heavy duty and usually used in industrial applications so it isn't cheap but it works and that's worth it.

a light tap with a hammer knocks them right out- no need for a special tool.
when it's time to put a new stud in it's place, a generic steel lugnut installed backwards with a couple of wahsers under it pulls it right into place.

a light tap with a hammer knocks them right out- no need for a special tool.
when it's time to put a new stud in it's place, a generic steel lugnut installed backwards with a couple of wahsers under it pulls it right into place.

X3!

Claude. :smile:

One post and no links. Looked at his profile and nothing. Not a officially a spammer yet but we are watching him.