You can type here any text you want

Wheel weight comparo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toomanymodz

Ok, I got bored and decided to weigh two different wheels.

Old Centerline auto-drag 15x4 with Mickey Thompson 26x7.5 (#1572) bias ply front runner:
Total weight for one rim/tire: 28.2 lbs

Original 1987 T-Type 'vector' wheel 15x7 with 215/65-15 radial:
Total weight for one rim/tire: 41.6 lbs

That's a 26.8 pound difference in rotating weight between two wheels.

I weighed the matching rear rim, which is also very old. Not sure if it's a Centerline or a Cragar, but it weighs only 10 lbs, compared to the 19 (approx) of the T-Type wheel. So that's another 18 pound savings if I switch the rears. That is a total savings of 60 (approx) pounds of rotating mass. That would probably make a (small) measurable difference in the 1/4 mile.

Hmmm.

Well, I weighed a stock GN rim on my digital bathroom scale. It read: 28 lbs. This is with out tire.

I then weighed one of the alumunum Budnik GN rims that I had made. It was 16.8 lbs.

Switching over saved me almost 50 lbs total off the wheels. I think they look better too.:cool:

alumGNrims006.jpg

alumGNrims020.jpg

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

my GTA's with 245/50/16 tires weigh right around 30 pounds each.

gtas weigh in at 17
245/50s at around 24 -28 lbs (michelin pilots are 27lbs , bfg gforce sports are 28lbs)
(255/50-16 mickey drag radials are 29lbs just the tire according to mickey thompson website )

think its time to get your scale fixed

last 245 gta i weighed was 41lb

i pulled one of the wheels off my car and weighed it today.. you're right- 40 pounds. the other scale i used a few years ago must have been reading low- which makes the 65 pound reading that other dcale gave me for the 15X9 Ansen slot with 275/60 tire from the rear of my Monte Carlo seem even worse..

My prostars, rear 15x8 no tire =14lbs. Front with a 28x7.5-15 weighs 28. I believe the fronts to be 15x3.5

Years ago I think it was Hot Rod magazine did a drag test with stock steel wheels & then Weld super lites on a 396 chevelle . I don't remember how much quicker it was (4/10 sec. I think), but it was significant due to unsprung & rotating mass.

Back