wheels for the white gnx

rkreigh

I just put the GNX style flares on the T and need some advice on wheels. looking for any of the GTA or GNX style wheels and the following.

is 4" the best backspacing

how wide a rim and what size BIG tires can I run without rubbing

looking to fill out the flares and make the car look right.

car will be ready soon!! thanks for any advice.

anyone have 4 front GTA wheels or know a source???

need to get some 16X8 mesh style GNX wheels (black gloss centers) to make the car look right.

thanks for any help!!!

any GTA wheels out there???

I will have the car back sunday but it looks pretty funny with the GNX flares and the old "T spoke" wheels.

thanks for any advice.

Check the parts for sale section if you haven't already. GTA wheels pop up there regularly. That's where I bought mine. :D

You could also post an ad in the "parts wanted" section.

I think an outfit called Classic Industries makes a reproduction version of these wheels, but last I heard, they had a huge backlog and there was a long wait to get wheels. Plus, they seem overpriced to me.

Finally, you could also check F-body websites for guys selling them off their Firebird GTAs.

thanks Matt!! I contacted classic and year one and you are right, no new ones are available right now. I have been checking the for sale board and ebay but haven't had any luck snagging a set.

I will try the f body boards but I really want 4 front ones (zero offset with 4" backspacing)

also looking for some other alternatives. I love the CCW wheels (have some on my ZR1, but they are pricey @ 1800 a set but look just like the fikse!!)

very high quality. thanks for the tips.

Ron,

Get the 17" CCW's and have the centers powdercoated white or dark grey. It would look much better than the 16" wheels from the GTA's. You and I know that dealing with John is always a great experience and probably worth the extra money. Good luck.

Qwick6 (aka Quasar Z)

yes, the 17's from CCW are very tempting.

I will go with black gloss centers as I have gloss blackout trim on the car.

I will give him a call, it's only $$$$ and the wheels look great!!!

can you give me a bit of advice on how big I can go, backspacing, etc....

I bet john will know too. thx!!!

I agree that 17s would look better. I woulda gone that route if I had the money.

As for how big you can go, know that the GTA fronts with 0 offset and 245/50/16 tires offer only a very small amount of clearance from the frame in back. At least, that's the case on my car. So, you can go bigger if you add wheel width outboard of the wheel center. In other words, get a wheel with a deeper dish and you can easily add another inch of wheel width, and probably 2" or more with your flares. I bet it will look sweet! :cool:

time to pull some wheels and take some measure clearances!!!

since I'm buying new tires anyway I may as well fill up those wheel wells with as much meat as I can.

traction is ALWAYS at a premium.

picking up the car tomorrow. I have some old ZR1 vette sawblade wheels with 7" backspacing. can these wheels work with about a 2" spacer??? does vette brakes and products still make a solid spacer that would allow the vette wheels to work and still be safe??? I think these spacers

decisions, decisions. I checked and sure enough, Vette Brakes does still make the spacers. but @ over 150 each, I can buy some of the old centerline wheels which will look pretty cool.

I talked to my body man and ran into a problem. the GNX fender louvers HAVE to have the fenders cut to install, was hoping to just bond them on. has anyone done that??

anyway, picking the car up later today, it will look a little funny with the flares and the small T wheels, but at least it will be finally back on the road.

commuting in the ZR1 has been fun, but a bit tiresome shifting!!

the old Buford has 112K miles but looks better than ever. the fresh white "monochromatic" paint with black out trim looks pretty sharp!!

Originally posted by rkreigh
picking up the car tomorrow. I have some old ZR1 vette sawblade wheels with 7" backspacing. can these wheels work with about a 2" spacer??? does vette brakes and products still make a solid spacer that would allow the vette wheels to work and still be safe??? I think these spacers

I would be afraid of spacers that thick. Even if you COULD find wheel studs long enough to make them work, I would think a spacer that big would cause a lot of wear on wheel bearings, axles, etc. Better to find the wheels you really want in a size that fits.