You can type here any text you want

When buying/selling a car, What does numbers matching equal to you?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Does numbers matching add value to a 86-87 GN?

• Total voters
Talking spacifically about 86-87 GNs
Does it add to value to the car?
Is it worth more to you?

Last edited:
i would think its more important that if you're after a stockish or mild build car that you have a 109 block between the rails , a BRF trans , and an 8.5" rear hopefully with 3.42s .

Most people that buy our cars are looking for performance, in which case numbers matching aren't a big deal. If you are looking at a <10k miled stocker, or a GNX then the buyer is probably looking for numbers matching.

agreed matching numbers means more money in a camaro, chevelle, nova etc etc. GNs everyone wants modified.

IMO...I think it's safe to say that owning ANY classic/muscle car is a never ending money pit. However,a numbers matching car speaks to the authenticity of the car and therefore increasing the value if you ever decide to sale it. You can modify a number's matching car and have the best of both worlds.

these are the numbers that matter ....

kev nov 2014.JPG

As far as value I don't think #s matching matters much on a turbo Buick , I would pay more for a car with a non-matching motor done by a reputable builder with minable mods then I would for a stocker with 130k miles.....But I do have my #s matching stock motor on a stand that I would offer it with the car if I was to ever sell it that would help the value immensely..

Last edited:

View attachment 246653
Ummm.....Someone was on the brakes too:cool: Price just went way up in my book.
What I have found in buying or selling at least 5 of these cars is:
Time slips help
Original BRF or TAF tranny is a must.
WHO rebuilt the motor is a major factor. Even if the motor performs great, if it was built by some no name dude, value goes down.
Cleanliness is another big one for me. That motor better be clean looking for me to even bite.
Mods (tasteful) are another big factor. Usually, the more the better and value increases.

No, I'm asking how do you know, where are the numbers located ?
partial vin stamped on driver side of block near back on the pad by the transmission and also on the transmission driverside near rear on pad above pan edge

It's not a GN but when I bought my 87T last September numbers matching wasn't something I worried about. I will check when I start do spring maintenance but only out of curiosity.
I wanted a lightly optioned car that was closer to stock. My budget was less than 10,000 if my budget was higher I probably would've been more interested in numbers matching.

Paul, I agree with you 100%! (y) A good time slip is far more important to me than matching numbers…:rolleyes:
In my case, I have quite a good time slip (mid 9's), motor was built by RPE, (I think it's a good reference :D) and overall, the car is far from being perfect but reasonably clean. The only thing which could influence the value is the TH400 transmission…To some people it might be a "plus" and to some others not...

Claude. ;)

Last edited:
I think it matters to some one only wanting a collectible car. But not enough to make a real difference in the market right now for a driver quality car. A correct numbers car (right engine, trans, rear, etc.) will continue to bring almost as much (or more) especially based on the mods. If you are more concerned with e.t. than a show spot then it doesn't matter at all as long as the car is done right.

Folks, the question was posed Does numbers matching add value to a 86-87 GN? The fact is YES....now whether you care or not is an opinion.

Back