You can type here any text you want

When buying/selling a car, What does numbers matching equal to you?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Does numbers matching add value to a 86-87 GN?

• Total voters
to clarify the op asked because he has a rusted GN with around 80K on the odometer that hasnt been on the road since he bought it
he has a good running lc2 in his chevelle and he wants to go 5.3 ls turbo with that car
he has been trying to sell the chevelle motor that has been rebuilt and has some mods ..but no luck
i told him pull the chevelle motor and drop it in the gn , sell the gn motor
he responded its numbers matching in the gn
my response ..im still laughing

and here we are

my opinion is numbers will never make a difference in what his car resells for .. not now, not ever

If the car was a low mileage near stock survivor it would equal a lot. I could see something like this causing a $10k variance in price on a supposed 10000 mile car. The less number of owners and the better the documentation and closer to stock the more valuable. This is precisely why the price of nice low mile turbo regals is increasing in value so much faster than beater cars. People that are buying high $$$ collector cars don't want them modified. If you were to compare a 10000 mile one owner stock cars value to a 25000 mile car that has been modified heavily and well documented you are looking at $10-15k less in value even though the car probably has $30k more worth of work done to it. An original unmodified black laquer turbo regal that has been garage kept and still has original un checked paint with less than $10k miles will pull at least $35k. That's a collectors car. Collectors have the $$$ and pay the price for what they want. Not the typical dick beater type that wants to buy a $5k turbo regal, spend a couple thousand, run 9's on 93/alky, and wants it to last forever. Huge gap between that person and a collector. A collector doesn't want a car that has a random engine in the car no matter what the source or reason is. They want want an as installed at the factory engine and transmission that hasn't been removed from the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to clarify the op asked because he has a rusted GN with around 80K on the odometer that hasnt been on the road since he bought it
he has a good running lc2 in his chevelle and he wants to go 5.3 ls turbo with that car
he has been trying to sell the chevelle motor that has been rebuilt and has some mods ..but no luck

and here we are

my opinion is numbers will never make a difference in what his car resells for .. not now, not ever
I totally agree with this. The car would not be in the eye of a collector regardless of what engine or trans was in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and here we are

Not entirely accurate.
My car is a T-Top car and needs some rust work- how much IDK because I have been too lazy to check so in every conversation about my 86 I assume the worse. Secondly we also have an 87 hard top that was garaged kept its whole life and that one also needs the engine rebuilt.
Now I do have my engine out of my Chevelle available for one of these cars but one is confirmed numbers matching (87 hard top) the other one isn't confirmed.
And yes Paul suggested I stop doing drugs while dreaming about my pos cars.

What I find interesting is that every other car has higher value but the Buick. Oh well you guys know better.

Edit - The fact is that i would like for my car to retain max value (however little it may be).
This is still a valid question that applies to anyone looking to buy or sell one of these cars.

What makes this car so different from every other muscle car?
So how many of you guys have a built motor in your car and the original motor sitting on a stand in the back of the shop?
I am willing to bet that i am not alone in thinking about protecting/holding on to and NOT selling the original engine to their car just in case they had to sell the car in the future. ---- Why? Max value thats why.

Last edited:
Back