You can type here any text you want

Where to buy complete brake setup for swap?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87NAT

In Between GN's
After too many close calls in my GN with the Powermaster I want to go to vacuum and rear discs. I am reading as many posts as I can and I am getting more confused as I go. Can someone tell me if there is a place to buy the complete setup(new vacuum system and discs, etc..) I have a limited knolwdge of brakes so I would like to be able to do an upgrade with little or no machining or fabrication. I dont want any thing crazy, just a better setup.
Any info is appreciated. thanks.

Going to vacuum is a matter of basically swapping out the booster and master cylinder from a g-body so equipped (cutlass, monte, na regal). Pretty easy swap.
A rear disk brake upgrade is not nearly as needed as a front upgrade would be. If you don't want to do any fab work you will need to go with an aftermarket supplier for a "bolt on" kit such as Baer brakes, they have both front and rear kits. Draw back to that is the price. Other choices are doing a little fab work and going with a swap from a donor car such as the blazer or more common the LS1/f-body. The LS1 swap is my preferrence and have found that it is a fairly easy swap, but does require a little massaging :wink: of the metal.

The vacuum swap is fairly easy. You need more than just a booster and master cylinder. Add a vacuum block, hose and check valve and you'll be in business. Just be careful underneath the dash. I've heard of people bumping connections and things don't run right. I converted my 87 GN w/parts from a junk yard and new booster/master cylinder from Autozone for an 87 Regal 3.8 non turbo. I had no problems and saved $$$ rather than buying a complete kit through Poston, Kirban, etc.

Ebay has a seller offering a rear disk brake conversion kit using S10 parts. Seems to be a pretty good deal too. If anything, check it out on Ebay and gather some ideas so you can go to the junkyard and DIY. Good luck

TARZAN said:
bump

wondering the same thing

-Will

Where in Ms. are you located? I'm originally from Biloxi. My family resides in Ocean Springs, Vancleave, and Biloxi.

b_rich24 said:
Where in Ms. are you located? I'm originally from Biloxi. My family resides in Ocean Springs, Vancleave, and Biloxi.

Hattiesburg, got quite a few friends from that VERY area!

-Will

IMPORTANT UPDATE to this post

b_rich24 said:
The vacuum swap is fairly easy. You need more than just a booster and master cylinder. Add a vacuum block, hose and check valve and you'll be in business. Just be careful underneath the dash. I've heard of people bumping connections and things don't run right. I converted my 87 GN w/parts from a junk yard and new booster/master cylinder from Autozone for an 87 Regal 3.8 non turbo. I had no problems and saved $$$ rather than buying a complete kit through Poston, Kirban, etc.

To whom it may concern, if you read this post and are contemplating purchasing or already purchased the booster/master cyl combo from Autozone then please read: The fitting from the check valve hose into the booster may have a CAP on it. It may not be a complete elbow fitting like those from Ford or GM. If you purchased one from Autozone or any other parts store then you need to ensure there is NOT a cap on it. If it is, then do one of the following: super-glue cap on (not advised), use (like I did) a canon plug cap, or grab a factory one from the junkyard and swap BEFORE you turn in your core (recommended-the two previous should get you to the junkyard).

While testing the setting on my actuator, I blew this cap off. Of course, I lost vacuum to brakes and had to stand on them and e-brake to coast into local shopping center. SCARY!

I'm posting this because vacuum conversions are common w/our cars and I want people to avoid this happening to them. REMEMBER- ensure the fitting is a single piece and not one w/a cap.

Look into HydroBoost before u decide.

Someone had recently posted a link for the company that sells a hydroboost conversion for our cars, and from what im hearing it was very easy to install and will work way better than vacum brakes. I will be changing my car from Vacum over to hydroboost as soon as I get it up and running.

Back