Converting from Powermaster to Vacuum Brake

MCH86GN

I do not have any issues with my Powermaster, Powermaster is functioning fine, but I figured with the Powermaster now being close to 38 years old that it's time to convert over the vacuum brake setup. I bought a kit from SpoolFool and I am getting ready to start removing the Powermaster setup and install the kit purchased from SpoolFool. I am going to document what I can. I have not searched YouTube to see if anyone has recorded and uploaded the swapping out of the different systems. I am not going to record, but rather take some pictures of what I find interesting and what I ultimately mess up being that I am not a mechanic, but I do not think I need to be to do this job. Lets see if these are my famous last words.

I remember installing the vacuum pedal was the bitch, not even sure these days it's worth the swap with how everyone rebuilds and makes things better. Best of luck

I remember installing the vacuum pedal was the bitch, not even sure these days it's worth the swap with how everyone rebuilds and makes things better. Best of luck
I would imagine the older you get, the harder it gets. Getting up under the dash requires a little "contortion" and a little "flexibility".

I think I will have a friend of my mine who has done this already and who is a few inches shorter do the removal.

I do not have any issues with my Powermaster, Powermaster is functioning fine, but I figured with the Powermaster now being close to 38 years old that it's time to convert over the vacuum brake setup. I bought a kit from SpoolFool and I am getting ready to start removing the Powermaster setup and install the kit purchased from SpoolFool. I am going to document what I can. I have not searched YouTube to see if anyone has recorded and uploaded the swapping out of the different systems. I am not going to record, but rather take some pictures of what I find interesting and what I ultimately mess up being that I am not a mechanic, but I do not think I need to be to do this job. Lets see if these are my famous last words.
I'm having the same thought. Please do post a link and how it went.

Pulling the pedal is a pain in the ass but it can be done with 2 open end wrenches. The other alternative is to pull the one other bolt holding the whole quadrant out; there is one more bolt towards the front after you pull the booster plate off (the 4 nuts you need to pull anyways).

Swapped to vacuum last week. I used a vacuum pedal from a junk car rather than drill mine.

I used the big Caprice booster and master, Its a tight fit but works extremely well. Pedal feel is smooth and linear, pedal 'catch point' is fairly high. I have not tried a true panic stop, too much junk in the car would go flying, but heavy braking really works, and a brake torque was sliding the front tires (might swap out the rear wheel cylinders at some point).

2 thumbs up.

this one works great.
Wanted a “dedicated” vacuum source, so I drilled & tapped for a 3/8”npt fitting.
BF1DC91E-9FB0-4E5F-BF05-3A3DFF79B815.jpeg

I have a question here, do you think it is worth it to rebuild the power Master and f@!k the swap. My PowerMaster has always worked fine, just worried aboot it crapping out when I need brakes. I would love to rebuild mine and clean it up a lot. I am not even sure what the cost is to do such a thing. Something I will keep in mind. For PowerMasters to be so sh!@#ty there are quite a few people who wants you to sell yours to them for $150 line if credit. Considering the price to purchase a rebuilt one you are essentially giving it away at that price. Although if it cost $1700 to rebuild one, then I guess $150 is a decent price. I have had at least 4 vendors offer me that $150 line if credit as soon as I mention the swap to vacuum brakes.

I paid $100.00 cash for the ones in my pile... If your unit doesn't have any issues right now I would contact Pete Hoffman or Jay Rubin at Richard Clarks in NC. I think a total rebuild is around $700.00 + Accumulator ball and switch if needed.

Bryan

The psi out of a power master is huge, when working correctly they're hard to beat in an the categories. You go 4 piston front brakes and you'll feel the difference, you add in the rears and I'm sure that's a nice bump over the drums and vacuum for sure.

Not sure of all the details on these units with health, $ and up keep but if you can keep it functioning at 100% regularly it's worth keeping. Vacuum was a big deal because when you're driving and get the brake light, it wasn't fun but I would've kept it off yet was a way to keep it healthy.