You can type here any text you want

where to find automotive wire?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

that national

i think i am goint to build my own wire harness this winter but i cant find any wire in the colore that i need, green/white, black/ white, white/blue, ect..

i usually just stripe the wires with a permanent marker. what works pretty well is to drill a hole in a marker cap the size of the wire thread the wire through the cap, then put the marker in the cap and pull the wire through. ;) you can buy solid color spools all over the internet.

Periodic pieces of colored electrical tape or heatshrink.

mcmaster.com
8664T12

Wrap-on Electrical Marker with Dispenser Bench Top with White Markers, Numbers 0-9

more options on that page

I go to the junk yard and pull wiring harnesses out of different cars to build what I need.

If your looking to replace the wiring check with your local speed shop. They usually sell spools of wire. Good quality, not the china freight garbage.

John at Caspers could probably get some for you.

John even sells a complete harness.

You might save a few $ doing it yourself, however John has already done the r&d.

I got his ground extender & could build it myself, but, by the time I would have burned the gas chasing needed parts, I actually saved $ by purchasing from John.

Check out Waytek wire.

You want to buy their "txl" wire. It is worth the trouble to order from these guys. They also have lots of other wiring hardware etc.

Dave

Just for future knowlege everyone there are 2 types of stranded wire TEW & THNN just so you know TEW stranded wire is what the type of wire used in automotive if you go to your local electrical warehouse ask for TEW stranded copper wire in color and gauge size needed they will maybe have to order odd colors, just my info gathered over time

Get cross link wire! Txl, Gxl, etc. Delcity has great prices but you gotta buy the 100' roll, waytek is a bit higher but you only buy the length you need. Mcmaster may be a good source also, never checked them. The cross link is automotive grade, the stuff that oems use today. More flexible, abrasion and heat resistant, doesn't get brittle after 10 years.

John even sells a complete harness.

You might save a few $ doing it yourself, however John has already done the r&d.

I got his ground extender & could build it myself, but, by the time I would have burned the gas chasing needed parts, I actually saved $ by purchasing from John.
i like to do everything myself, helps me get to know every inch of my car
i got mine from m&h electric i redid my taillight/fuelpump harness last year great prices and fast shiping. they have all the factory wire colors.

Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

this is exactly what i was looking for, thanks.

Back