where to mount external wastegate

shark tank

you guys have any suggestions on where to mount an external wastegate? i dont really like the idea of it on the DP. from everything i have ever heard or seen the WG is supposed to be before the turbo or at the turbo itself...give me some suggestions

You could mount it ion the crossover , i had it there once . Its prone to damage(UNder Car) and the welds will eventually crack from vibration and jarring . You could mount it on the pass header , i had it there too . Now its on an ATR D.P and its quiet anf trouble free . If you are going to weld it somewhere , old stock headers are thin and will crack over time i can promise that . I got tired of welding them and got a set of ATRs . If you Tig a new set it would be alright . But if you mig the stocker it will crack . :p

so if i tig the stockers they should be fine then, even though they are 18yr old headers?

also, how does atr have the WG before the turbo? isnt the damn thing on the DP after the turbo...from what i know, it just doesnt make any sense

I wouldnt go that far , but if you have a tig give it a shot . If your paying someone top $ to do it it consider doing something else. The waste gate is on the D.P on my car but i belive if you get a set of their headers they will put it before the turbo , but thats custom work and youd have to ask if they will do it , i think they do .

Re: EXTERNAL GATE

Originally posted by DMOSTWANTED1
SO CAN I MOUNT A EXTERNAL WASTE/RACE GATE TO MY TH 3'DP?

You should try and mount it on the header and purge it to the down pipe.

I have a set of ATR headers with no provisions for a gate. How good is bolting the gate to the turbo and piping into the DP. I have to make a cutom down pipe and I hate to weld on new headers?