Where to run amp power wire?

GNTurbo6

Asian guy in redneck car
Where do you guys run your amp power wire through the fire wall? I have no problem punching through the firewall on customer's cars but I'd prefer not to have to do that on my own.

Nobody? Someone must have ran wires in their car. I've read people talking about a certain grommet to run all their wires through, where is this?

My amp is in the trunk and I ran the power wire along the passenger side and drilled a small hole in the firewall close to the fender and ran the wire right to the battery. Sealed hole with black RTV.
Tarey D.

Hi there is a gromet a little bit above the steering column. That is where mine is run thru. If you would like pics please send me your email. Thanks

I ran mine,

I ran mine off Batt. to a Large 150 Amp fuse then along the pass. fender between the fender and HVAC unit. Then between fender and side-body. There is a port for the Power antenna, this is where I taped it into the car. Then I put the second fuse which I mounted behind glove box. I then ran wires under rug to the trunk where they connect into the amps. I can get you some picks if you like.

Evaddave

well if the wire is not bigger than 8 gaiuge you can go throught the grommet for the hood release cable. Take a long flat head screw driver with a smaller tip and poke through the grommet from the inside. Then put a piece of 28 gauge wire and roll it over the flat head while keeping tension on it as you push the the screwdriver through the hole again(may need some lubricant. Now you will have two ends of the wire sticking outside the fire wall. Pull on just one sideuntil it comesout. Now attach your 8 gauge wire to it,lubricate it and pull it through.

Edward

Gonna be running 2 4 gauge wires. I'd do 1/0 gauge but its such a pain to get it under the carpet. I got plenty of tricks to get the wire through the firewall, just wanted to know the easier place so I didn't have to punch through.

Firewall

Anyone have a good spot to route through on the passenger side? I removed the glove box, there's not much room in there and I would hate to punch multiple holes. :confused:

Thanks!

Has anyone thought about running it under the car and attaching it to the inside of the framerail with some insulated clamps? You can run 1/0 if you like.

Any comments?

I have thought about that, what happens when you get to the front wheel? Then where does it go?

If you route it down the inside of the framerail, you can just follow the front inner fenderwell over to your battery. Just make sure you secure it so it doesn't hit your downpipe. If you decide to run it that way, leave yourself some slack in case you have a brainstorm of a better way to run it after you hook everything up and need an extra foot of cable.

Just run your wires on the passenger side down in between the inner fenderwell and the HVAC box. It will drop out on the inside of the frame and floor board on the passenger side near your downpipe. Run it inside the frame with zipties attached to the fuel lines so it doesnt drop down to about where the lower control arms mount on the frame. Take out the lower half of your back seat and drill a hole as far to the passenger side as you can. Run the wire in there, use a rubber grommet or seal it up good, then proceed to run the wires behind the rear seatback into the trunk. 1 or 2 holes drilled, never to be seen.......... HTH

There was already a hole drilled in the well in my trunk, I assume for water drainage? Anways, I routed it thru there, everything else was a piece of cake. Much easier than trying to push it thru some tiny spot in the firewall! The GN is rocking now!

Pics

Well, I wish I woulda taken some pics before I put it all together. I can tell you what I did, for future reference. I have concert sound, so I replaced the front door speakers and front dash speakers with a set of 5.25component Blaupunkt speakers. When I took the existing tweeter out, I ripped out the speaker and used the surrounding plastic from the original speaker to mount the new tweeter in. I had to drill out the center with a 1" drill saw? Not sure what they call it, but it was in my Ryobi drill set and worked perfect. I also reused the existing pods from the door speakers for my new speakers, this also worked awesome. One of the corners was riveted in, out of the 3, I just broke this corner away from the original speaker. I bought a set of 6X9 Polks from Crutchfield b/c they came with the adapters. I HATE these adapters, but did get em in and working with some love from my pliers. I added a 500 Watt Sony Explode AMP from UBid and an 8" DUB edition self powered sub from Ebay.

The worst part of this job was routing the speaker wire from the dash tweeter into the door. These particular speakers have the crossover built in, and the tweeter needed to be run to the 5.25 speaker. Seeing as I didn't want to change the door panel, AT ALL, I ran the wire down from the tweeter, thru the door boot, into the door. To run 2 of these wires, it took me nearly 3 hours of messing around. I used a wire coat hanger, lots of Busch Lights and some patience.

The other problem I had, until I came here was running the amp power wire. Frame rail is the way to go. I will try and get some pics up of everything that can be seen.

All in all, I put about $300 into the system. My car came with a nice new Kenwood deck, so I had all the pre-amps I needed! Car sounds real good. It's not competition, but for the money I wanted to spend, I think it sounds great!

Hope this helps someone in the future...

Ryan