Where to start?

Baron Von Buick

Big White Guy
I just bought a 1984 N/A Regal with 26,000 original miles on the 231 V6 non turbo engine i would like to fix the car up as much as i can performance wise without having to swap an engine or tranny (for now) but the question is what would be the best thing to work on first? Keep in mind $$ is a little tight. Please be as specific as possible with part names and prices.

Thank you for any help:confused:

1) Set a target budget.

2) Keep ECM control or remove.

3) Master the Q-Jet.

4) Upgrade the oil system.

Speed cost money....:eek:, so how much do you wanna spend?

There are two schools of thought. The ECM system on N/A's is great/sucks. Why is it great? My opinion: It's simple to work on and it saves gas. Why does it suck? It's limiting to a certain extent on ambitious speed gains. It can also take alot of time to understand.

The Q-Jet is over all the heart. The simplest and cheapest upgrade is a 4.1 intake and Q-Jet obtainable from a local junkyard. Trick is finding one. Removing the Duel-Jet intake ups the horsepower from 115 to 125. Cheap HP gain.

I've heard good things about the Kenne-Bell intake with a Q-Jet. The KB intake, (expensive), runs for about $200.00. They recommend a Holley 600 CFM carb. But the 10 HP gain does'nt justify the Holley carb price tag, (just my opinion :rolleyes: ).

A cheap oil system upgrade is a KB oil booster plate and a bigger oil filter, ( I use the purolator L24011). Any oil pressure above 15 lbs is VG!

4) Cam, (mild, lopey or hot).

5) N/A Headers & GN type duel exhaust

6) Better stall Torque Converter.

7) Up the rear gears to 3.08 or 3.23.

The cam is a another traditional upgrade. If you opt for a mild grind then you won't have to worry about having machine shop service on the heads. Choosing lopey or hot grinds and you might as well rebuild the engine since the heads would have to be removed and cut. If you rebuild, get bigger valves and a double timing chain. Might as well you're already in there. :rolleyes:

Headers are harder to find for N/A's and can be expensive. I have Pace Setter headers and they are VG and cheap! Match and install a GN type duel exhaust and you're good to go!

The stock TC sucks. If you get an HP cam, match it to a good HP torque converter. It's a sure bet combination.

Rear gears are icing on the cake. Find out which ones you have. Base model N/A Regals is 2.51. 4.1 Regals are from 3.08-3.23.

Do all this and that V-6 N/A Grannymobile will be sure to compete on a street level. And lots of fun to drive. :cool:

Thanks Rich! :)

I kinda did'nt want to get into the ignition too much or I would begin to sound like an endorsement. But here it goes:

8) Ignition.

*MSD-6A for the N/A all the way! But pricewise it's up there with the KB intake. Forget plugs, wires, cap, rotor and all the other ignition stuff. One can keep them stock and the MSD magic box will do the rest. But you'll turnover your plugs faster.....any type plug! So keep 'em cheap. :D

I got all of the other information on how to spice up the NA regal, but I have another question. Concerning the headers? I was unable to find any information concerning Pacer headers. I apologize, the only headers I know that are similar to that name are the Pacesetter. Is that the same thing in your guy's book? I appreciate the help!

Oops... :eek: I meant Pace Setter....:D

Got 'em from the JC Whitney catalog, (I hate JC Whitney but that's the only place I could get them from). :rolleyes:

MFG Part number 70-1093. JCW catalog number 21-3762X.

Exhaust header GM 231-V6. $144.95 for the pair.

*Note: If it's to go on a Buick Regal '81 and up, the passengers side header might hit up against the lower 'A' frame extension.

I rectified this by installing the header and using a cable puller attached to a tree. I slightly pulled on the header until it would bend clear of any obstuction. Now it is fine.

I think that the headers are generic enough but were made for the earlier regals with the differant heads. They market them for all the later 'G' body GM cars that came with the 231 V-6. Other then the problem I noted, they should work just fine. The're very sturdy and well made.

I did just about every over the counter improvement available for the N/A Regal HEI system. The one that showed the most significant power increase was the MSD box.

That is why I said to forget about those expensive plug cables, funny plugs, HP modules. They showed only minor improvement and still had to be replaced over a period of time as all standard tune-up items do.

On the other hand, the MSD box cost about as much as all this stuff twice over and still kicks without having to be replaced. Also, it had the most noticable significant power increase of all that stuff combined. :eek: Which to me gives the most bang for the buck. :D

hey freddie,those headers that you got,are they straight duals or do they use a u pipe?

I'm not sure of what you mean Mark. But they're duel headers with the collectors. You might have to have a cross pipe made if that's what you mean and they're to go on a GN duel exhaust system.

Your local muffler shop should be able to easily custom make one.
Or you can hook up independant short pipes with duel mufflers....endless possibilities....:D :cool: ;)

is there a way retro fit a turbo to these n/a models? I mean the older ones came with a turbo, why not work them here? I believe they even had a four barrel version. what are your thoughts on a project like that?

Thanks! :)

I'm planning on going the blow-thru route on a car I have. I hope to get it running this summer and hoping will collect enough parts to get serious with it in the near future.

Yeah let me know how much you spent and how well it goes when you actually do it because i was considering the N/A turbo swap and i wanna know exactly how much trouble im headed for:D !
Patrick