which is cheaper to build: SBC or 3.8 turbo

Purpose

If you build a small block chevy specifically for racing, you can definitely do it cheaper than a Buick. A 283 with good heads, race cam and high redline in a G body with a 3 speed automatic and 5:38 gears is extremely fast, but at the end of the day you can't turn the boost down, put in a street chip, drive home with air conditioning, 3 passengers and get 25 mpg.

If you consider the combination of cost, acceleration, fuel economy, comfort, size, reliability and resale value, a turbo Buick is pretty much impossible to beat.

turbolou

I agree with Lou. In the big HP level a SBC will be cheaper to maintain. I know that it will not be original motor that our GN's came with but who cares. Bottom line is that you want to be faster than your opponent. Now if you are running certain Buick classes then you will be stick with the V6 turbo but if your goal is to have a fast race car then the V8 is an excellent choice. I have a S2 block and rods at the moment that I want to build but the parts for this engine are very high dollar and this doesn't include the machine work. I'm considering even dropping the S2 project and start a turbo SBC project. I'm still thinking about it.:confused: :confused:

Since no one else did it, I'll throw this in:

HOLY OLD THREAD, BATMAN!

FWIW I agree with the status quo. The LC2 wins from 14's-11's and then promptly picks up his toys and goes home when the SBC comes to town.

I thought the same thing when my mailbox said that someone replied to this thread, you need to check the dates when you reply to a searched thread. This horse was beaten to a pulp months ago.
Grant

I have been doing some research on this subject as of late and here is what I have seen.

If you are starting from scratch meaning no car at all the LS1 is the way to go.

I have found 98 and newer TAs and Camaros for $2000 to $3000 with high miles in good shape. They would make a perfect drag car. I cant find a roller on the West coast and the ones I have seen are $3000 and up.

I have seen 12 point cages for sale for $275 in Jegs. A Buick cage is a custom job for $1100.

Motor. You can build an LS1 with stock parts to 800 hp and I am looking at turbocharging. Heads can be had for $500 , 6.0 liter heads and porting them, figure another $800. I wont say that stock Buick cant do that because TSM motors may be getting that close but they are not a stock motor when you are putting forged internals in the stock motor with a girdle to hold it together.

Computer. Here is where you can save some dough. I am told and from what I have seen you can use the stock ECM with LS1Edit or a similar program to tune the motor with a turbo no sweat. I think that the only drawback here may be that the stock ECM on the LS1 may require more tuning time due to the intricacy of the system. Meaning power enrichment modes and so on. But getting it right would make a very smooth power plant that is dead on reliable.

Transmission. This is a break even deal in my opinion. You will spend $2500 or better getting a built 200R4 or a 4L60 to hold up to the power levels I am thinking about , so its a wash. Maybe a 4L80 would work but that will be the same amount of money even if you score one out of a truck.

Rear end. The Buick wont need a rear end but the TA will. Sooner or later though you will tear up the stock rear in a Buick and it will have to be beefed up too. Figure $1500 bucks either way.

So totals.

LS1 $3000 Buick $5500
motor$1500 motor$1500
trans $2500 trans $2500
ECM $400 ECM $2500
turbo $3500 turbo$1200
rear $1500 rear $1500

Totals
$12,400 $14,700

Now this list does not say anything about paint or interior so that may be an additional cost too.

The other consideration here is availability of parts. The LS1 wins hands down.

Bear in mind this is just stock parts, not a Stage car. If you want to compare those the LS1 is a winner for sure.

This is not a knock on Buicks because I still think they are great. I am just looking at money here.

Food for thought