Which oil for AC compressor

hot6-231

American and Proud!!!
No one seems to know what kind of oil to use when replacing AC compressor. Old one has bad bearings. Anybody know for sure??? TIA

KB

Ken you converting to 134A?

I have a full set of gauges with both adapters if you need them.

Replace the accumulator also when changing the compressor.

Paint the new one black first. ;)

Yes......I will be converting to 134A. Thanks Allan, but I think my brother-in-law has the gauges. I'll let you know. Ok, so what oil to use with the R134A refridgerent?? Also, will a regular auto parts store carry it?? I know, lots of questions, but I never replaced a compressor and I want to make sure I don't kill the new one with the wrong oil. TIA...................Ken B.

Accumulator and vacuum pump are needed.

Oil should be on the charge kit for R134A.

Polyol Ester oil is what I used.

Sheet was included with my rebuilt compressor and another sheet with the recharge conversion kit on how to do it.

Read the destructions and definately vacuum the system and replace the accumulator.

Maybe even the orifice with that cool $20 one that works well with 134A.

Then theres the lower pressure cycling switch you can get or adjust yours down 2-3 lbs.

Originally posted by hot6-231
No one seems to know what kind of oil to use when replacing AC compressor.KB
There are 3 oil types:
Mineral
PAG (Polyalkylene Glycol)
POLYOL ESTER OIL

"Mineral" is what older R-12 freon systems were intended to use.

PAG oil is used in factory built new AC systems running R-134a freon. PAG oil is *NOT* compatible with mineral oils.

Polyol Ester (or just plain "ester") is used for retrofitting R-12 to R-134a. It is compatible with with both R134a and residual mineral oil in the system.

So if you're recharging with R-12, stick with mineral oil.

If you're retrofitting with R-134a, use Polyol Ester oil.

More info: http://www.delanet.com/~pparish/oil.htm