You can type here any text you want

Which One?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rose1mr

Ok, I need some advice. I am kind of new to the whole concept of tweaking an engine with an electronic device...but its sparking my interest (forgive the pun)

Anyway, I see 2 popular devices, and I would like to know which one you guys would choose.

1st is the Scanmaster. Kirban sells it for $280 and it seems like it just gives a readout and thats it.

2nd is TurboLink...this product seems really powerfull since it connects with a null modem cable (I assume there is a serial connection somewhere on the computer itself) and you can then with the push of a few keystrokes, fine tune your engine.

Ok...so which is the better of the 2

both are for monitoring only.
if you want to tune with laptop youll need FAST or DFI

Get to Ken Mosher's TurboLink site and look for his comparison of the various scan tools...

Ok..

This FAST or DFI you speak of...can you point me to some websites that explain it and where & what I need to start.

I am not green to computers at all...yet this is totally new to me.
So If I seem ignorant about this subject, its cause I am.

for $200 you get to see what is happening, for $2,000 you get to determine what is happening.

Originally posted by gnxis
both are for monitoring only.
if you want to tune with laptop youll need FAST or DFI

No, you can use a laptop and chip burner.
And there are several ways to do real time tuning with the oem computer. While not plug and play like an aftermarket ecm, they cost ALOT less.

Originally posted by Grandnat
for $200 you get to see what is happening, for $2,000 you get to determine what is happening.

There are Freeware scanners that just need a $5 cable to work.
Direst Scan will get you 17 frames a sec of data logging for $250. For ~$200 more you can be doing your own chips.

I'm stuck with having fun with learning about the stock system. not to mention guys are running in the 9s with them. Granted something like the Translator Plus, and MAFless systems cost a fair amount to update the stock ecm, but they're still cost effective alternatives.

Either are about tuning, and knowing what your doing.

Back