You can type here any text you want

Which serpentine belt do I want ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaone

The tensioner pulley is starting to hit on the AC pulley, I have the
Kelly Springfield belt(635K6) on the car now. Is there a slightly
shorter belt available for our cars,or do I just buy the same belt
and keep replacing it as it stretches ? My present belt isn't that
old :confused: .

Thanks
James

Funny, that is the same belt I bought to replace my "streched belt" and the one listed for our cars is actually 64" and I had to get the 63.5" belt to keep it from rubbing. If it is still rubbing with the shorter belt get one that is 63.0" (630K6).

I went to autozone today and tried to buy a 630K6 and they said
that they didn't have one, so I bought another 635K6 belt. The
poblem is that the autozone belts are cheap($10.99)and they
stretch quickly. NAPA sells a better quality belt(Gates), but they
come in odd sizes that don't fit our cars(62 3/8",which is too short
and 64 5/8" which is too long). Advance Auto carries a 61"and a
64"belt, nothing in between. I guess I'll keep using the 635K6
until something better comes along.

Thanks
James

Original GM :(

Check into AC Delco. They list a belt thats 5 MM off.. I dont have the number off hand, but it was shocking to see the specs.

You'll need to find someone with an AC delco belts parts book. I'll see what I can dig up for ya.

Julio

Hmmm..What's wrong with mine? I replaced the belt a few months ago and the parts store (I checked the closest 3) only had 63.5" or 61.5". Even though I'd heard that a 63" was more ideal than 63.5", I thought I'd try the 63.5". Well, it was WAY too long. As in, it had no tension on it whatsoever, I could slide it right on and off. So I looked at the old one and it was marked 615xxx so I brought it back with me and sure enough, it was very close to the new 61.5". So I tried that one, and it fits great. Actually, the tensioner is still a little closer to the alt pulley than I'd prefer. I do still have A/C and all the stock pulleys, AFAIK. Is my tensioner bad?

Hello ALXTTA 1, when you said that the tension pulley is a little
closer to the alt. pulley than you prefer, did you mean to say the
A/C pulley instead ? The reason I ask is because my tension pulley
can't get anywhere near my alt. pulley no matter what belt I use.
It can only go down and hit the A/C pulley if the belt is too long or
it stretches and a shorter belt would raise it up away from all the
other pulleys. How is the pressure on your tensioner?, without a
belt on does it go down and lay on top of the A/C pulley? The
tension should be so stiff that you should not be able to move it
without a wrench or socket on the bolt for leverage. If so, then
I'd say that your tensioner isn't bad. As for the 61.5 belt, I'm not
sure why your car takes such a short belt, the books call for a 64"
belt, but we all know that is too long. I tired to get a 63" belt
when I bought my 63.5", but like you said,they didn't have one.
Next time I'll try a 61.5" and maybe it will work better on my car
also ?

James.

Hi James,

Ooops, yes, I did mean close to the A/C pulley. I'm closing on a house on Friday so I won't have time until next week to check the tensioner. I'm just trying to figure out what is different about mine that would necessitate a belt 1.5" shorter than recommended.

Actually yours needs one 2.5 inches shorter than "recomended" according to all the listings I have found. They all say mine should be 64" and 63-63.5 is what works best. I am guessing either GM or PAS changed something mid run on the TTA's or someone changed a pulley or tensioner on your car.

Mine is #332 and takes the longer belt, lets see what the later production cars take.

James, my guy was on vacation.

here are the current choices I could find, first I want to say that according to GM, our belt is a 1603mm .

With that said, the options are 1595 and 1615 as the closest. the 1615 is labeled a 6k630 the GN calls for a 6k640. So its shorter than the GN belt by a little. The 6k623 is the 1595.

They dont have any 6k623's in stock but do have the 6k630.. actually one reserved for me.

Another idea I was thinking was to get an overdrive pulley for the water pump from RJCand that way a longer belt could be used. My current belt I found on Ebay months back..and paid a premium.

I'll post back my results on the 6k630 when I get a chance.

hope this helps.. dont go by the manufacturers numbers on the packages..as far as part numbers..you have to go with physical length numbers.. remember the 1603..

My car is TTA 1093 and it doesnt like the longer GN belt.

Belt length difference on the TTA vs the GN is due to the AC Compressor pulley. All the other pulleys are the same... unless i'm wrong. If so someone please step in and correct me.

Julio

Minor correction.. I looked at the GM packaging for the belt I used and it was 1605mm. GNTTYPE.org lists it at 1603.

just to be a bit more technical.

Julio

I'll be trying it out the one I found this coming weekend..I'll post results as soon as I get them.

I was able to get a Dayco 630k6 belt at a local Advance Auto. Have the Rep look for "630k6" as a part number. They should find it and will probly have to order it but it SHOULD come up.

Originally posted by leirch
I was able to get a Dayco 630k6 belt at a local Advance Auto. Have the Rep look for "630k6" as a part number. They should find it and will probly have to order it but it SHOULD come up.

You cannot go with part numbers like these.. you need to have MFG belt legnths.. if you dont, you will fail every single time. If you could post the exact belt legnth in MM for the belt/MFG it would make this better.

How do I know..I too have a grooved AC compressor. Guess why?

Back