which truck to tow with.

Here's a couple pics of my '02 24v... :biggrin:

If I was currently looking for a Cummins, I'd buy a '03 or '04 common rail, and go visit Tim Barber @ TRE DIESEL PERFORMANCE

K.

Attachments

• Dodge Cummins 001.jpg
    Dodge Cummins 001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Dodge Cummins 002.jpg
    Dodge Cummins 002.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 240
When you're serious about towing you get a Cummins.

I have to chuckle when I read posts like this. for several years most hotshot haulers used the 7.3 PS. then the 6.0 PS came out & many bought into it. when many were having reliability issues, they had to change to another brand. some went to the cummins, & many went to the d'max. up until about 2-3 years ago there were more hotshot drivers running PS than ANY other brand truck out there. there is no one more serious about towing than a hotshot hauler making a living with there truck. right now I would say there are close to twice the # of d'maxes running hotshot than there are cummins. now if I had the $ to waste, I would take a F550 body & power it with either a common rail cummins or a d'max.

I have to chuckle when I read posts like this. for several years most hotshot haulers used the 7.3 PS. then the 6.0 PS came out & many bought into it. when many were having reliability issues, they had to change to another brand. some went to the cummins, & many went to the d'max. up until about 2-3 years ago there were more hotshot drivers running PS than ANY other brand truck out there. there is no one more serious about towing than a hotshot hauler making a living with there truck. right now I would say there are close to twice the # of d'maxes running hotshot than there are cummins. now if I had the $ to waste, I would take a F550 body & power it with either a common rail cummins or a d'max.

You know better than I, but... Every hotshot truck that comes to our dealership, that I see, is a Cummins. That is multiple times a week for dealer trades, auction buys, finance recoveries, etc...

If you want to make the most power buy a Cummins... Or buy a D'max and put a Dodge tranny in it... :biggrin: :tongue:

PS- No smart a$$ comment about my pics... :D

K.

whatever you do dont buy a ford made after they got rid the 7.3 I love how they say reliability issues to make it seem not so bad ford boys will never tell you the the 6.0 diesel and the newer twin turbo motor are garbage my dadhas had nothing but problems and he used to own a couple semi trucks so he knows how to pm it and drive it gently hid 6.0 still broke time after time i had to pull him home from texas with my chevy van cause the dealers only want a ton of money to fix everything... the duramax is ok i got a buddy that works at weller truck parts and the orders for new duramaxes come in on a consistant basis from those that work them hard according to him... but the bad boy is the cummins..If you want a gas motor get a 6.0 chevy i got two chevy express 2500 expedite vans and they both have 250,000 miles 2006 and 2007 ..I pulled a honda pilot in a 24 foot enclosed trailer all the way to pomona california from mich and back and it pulled fine it got a lil warm at the top of a 8000 ft elevation mountain but other than that it pulled great i did have to replace water pumps on both but thats it they run like sewing machines.... ill post a pic of my van pullin the trailer later i gotta get it out of my old cellphone...

Highway Diesel Services - Understanding Common Rail

Highway Diesel Services -
Understanding Common Rail

Please see our warning when working on common rail diesels or looking for leaks.

Diesel is now more powerful, responsive and environmentally friendly than ever.

Thanks largely to the development of the diesel 'common rail' system, the days of noisy, unresponsive tractor style engines are long gone. Instead of only being fitted to trucks, tractors and 4WD, diesel engines now find applications in small city vehicles such as the Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus and Holden Astra through to high end luxury vehicles such as the Mercedes Benz E class, BMW X5, and Volvo XC70. In addition, common rail diesel is the preferred choice for commercial vehicles such as the Mercedes Benz Sprinter and Vito, Iveco Daily and others because of the low down torque and improved fuel economy.

So what is common rail, how does it work, what are the advantages, what types of Australian vehicle's is it fitted to and what does it mean for you? This website will endeavour to answer these questions in a basic and easy to understand way. It is by no means a detailed analysis of this complicated diesel injection system.

What is Common Rail
As it's name suggests there is a common rail that acts as an accumulator to feed fuel to all of the injectors. Filtered fuel is supplied to the rail by means of a high pressure pump.

1 = High Pressure Pump
2 = High Pressure Rail

3 = Electronic Control Unit

4 = Injector

Unlike various other diesel fuel injection systems where the injector only receives fuel pressure once the injection pump has metered an amount of fuel for that cylinder, the common rail system stores a constant amount of high pressure fuel at the rail and right up to the injectors.
The main advantage of this system is to vary injection pressure and timing over a broad scale leading to many benefits in engine design, improved driveability and greatly reducing it's environmental impact.

Therefore the heart of the common rail system is the injectors and electronic software and hardware.

How does Common Rail work?
Filtered diesel fuel is delivered in a low pressure condition (between 6-7 bar or 85-100psi) from the diesel fuel tank to the high pressure pump. This can be done by either an electric fuel pump, gear pump or both.

The high pressure pump uses mechanical plungers to increase this fuel pressure to pressures up to and including 2000 bar (over 29,000psi) and delivers this to the common rail.

This pressure is regulated and monitored by the electronic diesel control by means of a rail pressure sensor. Due to the safety concerns of a diesel leak at 2000 bar, there is also the facility for a pressure-relief valve or pressure maintaining valve.

A common rail injector comes in 2 basic types: the solenoid-valve injector and the piezo-inline injector.

You have probably used Piezo crystals before on your BBQ or gas stove without even realising. When the button is pressed on your BBQ lighter the movement of the Piezo crystals create a high voltage spark. The reverse is the case when these crystals are installed in a common rail injector. A voltage is sent to the injector, which creates movement in the Piezo crystals and allows the delivery of fuel.
The Piezo injector allows the implementation of very short and rapid fuel delivery characteristics. By avoiding mechanical forces acting on the needle, such as a pushrod, it allows consistent and accurate delivery of diesel with up to 7 injection cycles per engine combustion cycle.

All of these components are interconnected by means of the Electronic Diesel Control Unit. It gathers a seemingly endless source of information by means of input sensors such as:

Throttle Position (including idle and kick down switch)
Engine Speed
Vehicle Speed
Top Dead Centre engine reference
Start of Injection
Rail Pressure
Charge-air pressure
Oil pressure
Charge-air temperature
Engine temperature
Fuel temperature
Air Mass Meter

Calculating all these inputs against the manufactures mapping it can control actuators such as:
Injectors
High Pressure Pump metering unit
Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Boost Pressure actuators (on variable vane turbos)
All of these capabilities allows the common rail diesel injection system to be one of the fastest growing segments in Australian vehicles, and the choice of most manufactures.

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES COMMON RAIL?
Increased Power & Torque
Improved Fuel Economy
Environmentally friendly - cleaner exhaust emissions
Reduced engine noise
Improved driveability

SSPX0412.jpg
whatever you do dont buy a ford made after they got rid the 7.3 I love how they say reliability issues to make it seem not so bad ford boys will never tell you the the 6.0 diesel and the newer twin turbo motor are garbage my dadhas had nothing but problems and he used to own a couple semi trucks so he knows how to pm it and drive it gently hid 6.0 still broke time after time i had to pull him home from texas with my chevy van cause the dealers only want a ton of money to fix everything... the duramax is ok i got a buddy that works at weller truck parts and the orders for new duramaxes come in on a consistant basis from those that work them hard according to him... but the bad boy is the cummins..If you want a gas motor get a 6.0 chevy i got two chevy express 2500 expedite vans and they both have 250,000 miles 2006 and 2007 ..I pulled a honda pilot in a 24 foot enclosed trailer all the way to pomona california from mich and back and it pulled fine it got a lil warm at the top of a 8000 ft elevation mountain but other than that it pulled great i did have to replace water pumps on both but thats it they run like sewing machines.... ill post a pic of my van pullin the trailer later i gotta get it out of my old cellphone...

I have ALL the advantages!!! Ford Powerstroke, seating for 8, and room for all their luggage, and all the pulling power one could want!!

Attachments

• Trailer7.JPG
    Trailer7.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 129
IMO, Cummins (CTD) has been a tried and proven diesel engine. Yes, there have been a few years with a few bugs here and there but overall, there is not another with the longivity and performance that can be compared with a CTD. Although the vehicle that carries the CTD (Dodge) could stand improvements, the same goes with any other manufactuer, Ford, Chevy, Toyota.
The ideal setup IMO is a Ford body, Cummins motor, and Allison tranny, This would be a killer setup.
Not being argumentive or knocking anybody, if you pull/haul anything on a regular basis, you can't go wrong with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel or gas, they are built with a purpose of hauling. Yes lots of folks haul with gas burners and 1/2 ton trucks, or even SUVs, but there are other drawbacks other than the engine that need to be taken into consideration. Brakes, frame construction, driveline, ect can take a pretty hard punishment with extended towing or hauling use in a 1/2 ton vehicle. I still think its more of a personal choice of what you are looking for, what your pulling, and how often.
This debate of what brand of vehicle, engine choice, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton, or whatever has been going on since autos where first built and will continue until or government tells us what we can or can not drive. I think its healthy competition for auto makers and this is what makes for better built vehicles for the future.
Good luck on your decision and hopefully you find a vehicle that works for your needs.
HTH

I pulled my GN from NC to Cottons in MASS with my 5.4 liter supercharged 2000 Ford Lightning. 12 hours each way. Didn't know the car/trailer was back there! I loved passing the 14 wheels going up the hills.
Conrad
"Hot Air"

Used to use a Z-71 Avalanche 1500 with 18 foot open car hauler, weight distribution hitch. Pulled okay but seemed a little strained eventhough the tow capacity was 7000 lb which should be more than enough. Think my setup trailer and all was about 5500 to 6000 lbs.

Graduated to a 2500 HD Z-71 Duramax/Allison that has a 13,000 tow capacity and 24 foot enclosed trailer never looked back:cool:

I like the peace of mind of having more than enough rather than being borderline or having too little.

Used to use a Z-71 Avalanche 1500 with 18 foot open car hauler, weight distribution hitch. Pulled okay but seemed a little strained eventhough the tow capacity was 7000 lb which should be more than enough. Think my setup trailer and all was about 5500 to 6000 lbs.

Graduated to a 2500 HD Z-71 Duramax/Allison that has a 13,000 tow capacity and 24 foot enclosed trailer never looked back:cool:

I like the peace of mind of having more than enough rather than being borderline or having too little.

X2..........I have pulled mine with my 98 GMC 1500 X-cab but I have a balanced sweet spot on the trailer....before I discovered that I knew the trailer was back there but now I have to check & make sure.....but my friend has Duramax 2500 going through TN he maintained 75 mph up hill with no problems just left me in the dust..........I was so jealous & late...........

The one on the right

My last trip south I was getting 22mpg. I can set the cruise at 75mph going up a grade. I have pulled cars in AZ at well over a 100 degrees as well as in a foot of snow no problem . Its a HO 6spd and will chew up Ujoints if you lug it. I lost a fuel injection pump during warranty and now always use Howes diesel treatment.

Attachments

• tysidebyside.jpg
    tysidebyside.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 98
One problem I've seen on our 06 C4500 with Duramax is fuel filter problem. I work for a county fleet and we have to change the fuel filter every 15,000 or the dam thing plugs up and won't go over 20mph. He also have alot of 98 and 02 Fords with 7.3's and have never dipped into the engines. Some have close to 300,000 miles. Although they have had numerous trannys. The problem with cummins is the VP44 pump and on the Common rail it's the EGR set up and VGT turbo.

I've owned and towed with quite a few Chevys over the last 20+ years...

From 1500 half-ton 2wds to big block 4x4 Duallys.

Duallys are the top dog when it comes to load handling and towing stability. I've had three Duallys in the last 11 years... but they suck as a daily driver... the long wheelbase and extra width is a bitch at a BK drive-thru. :D

In my opinion, the best compromise between a daily driver and a trailer hauler is a Chevy 2500HD. The 8.1 is a beast, but the 6.0 will get it done.

Here's a pic of my current truck.
It pulls the enclosed trailer like nothing... The open trailer is easy to forget it's behind you. ;)

DSC072492.jpg

IMG00020.jpg