You can type here any text you want

Which turbos will accept the factory heatshield and bracket ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

I am considering upgrading my stock turbo to a slightly larger one. Which aftermarkert turbos use the factory heat shield bracket and the factory heatshield ? I want to keep it as factory looking as possible and want to continue using the factory heatshield. I am looking to run 24lbs of boost and my stock turbo will only go to 20 lbs and seems worn out.
Mods listed below.
Thanks

Stock appearing (the turbos taking the stock heat shield AND look completely stock) are numbered with the "Ta" prefix, i.e., Ta-49. A larger than stock down pipe may require a modification tothe stock heat shield.

Watch the banner ads here and call and speak with some of the experts to choose the right turbo for you and your car.

Some of the new turbos may fit the heat shield too....There is a gap in my education where that is concerned. :)

I think most of TE series fit and most of the GTs as well. The GT32 needs to have the shield cut. It is a great turbo, just dissappointing the shield had to be modified to fit. I have a TE63E and the shield fits fine. Like Lou said, ask the vendor you buy from and then maybe put a post up here to make sure. I was told by the vendor the shield fit on the GT32. :frown: But I really like the turbo.

I think that most of the turbos you would want for your application and current mods will fit. The main thing that will cause fitment issues is if your using a .83 housing and have a deltagate flange on the turbine housing. The turbonetics mostly have the deltagate on them, the presicion turbos usually don't. I tried a Cheetah turbo back in 91 and it had a .83 turbine housing and we had to slightly notch the bracket. I then went to a TE44 and it fit fine. I've just installed a 61 and it has a .63 turbine housing with a deltagate flange. It clears, but I've already notched the bracket from the cheetah. I think you'll be ok with many turbos out there. Pics of turbo install for reference.
motor-060607.jpg

motor060607-2.jpg

Back