You can type here any text you want

Which type of rear lower control arm?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gteatr6

I see they have a tubular one, a boxed one, and a tubular adjustable. I don't really plan on going all out with this gn, so what are the pros and cons of the tubular vs the boxed aftermarket LOWER rear control arm?

I see they have a tubular one, a boxed one, and a tubular adjustable. I don't really plan on going all out with this gn, so what are the pros and cons of the tubular vs the boxed aftermarket LOWER rear control arm?

It's not the "tubular" or "boxed" thing which is important as both are good. What IS important is to determine if your car is a street & strip car or a race-only car and choose the control arms (both uppers and lowers) accordingly. If your car is mostly driven on the street (which seems to be your case), then some control arms with URETHANE bushings are the most popular choice. On the other hand, if your car is a race car, then you can go with some adjustable ones with ROD-ENDS to fine tune the suspension and pinion angle. Hope this helps...

Claude. :wink:

It's not the "tubular" or "boxed" thing which is important as both are good. What IS important is to determine if your car is a street & strip car or a race-only car and choose the control arms (both uppers and lowers) accordingly. If your car is mostly driven on the street (which seems to be your case), then some control arms with URETHANE bushings are the most popular choice. On the other hand, if your car is a race car, then you can go with some adjustable ones with ROD-ENDS to fine tune the suspension and pinion angle. Hope this helps...

It will be mostly street with this one. I was just curious as I have never used the tubular lower arms before. Seems to me that would save some weight versus the boxed ones. The price difference is just around 40 bucks more for the boxed ones.

I am looking at the umi sets at the moment.

It will be mostly street with this one. I was just curious as I have never used the tubular lower arms before. Seems to me that would save some weight versus the boxed ones. The price difference is just around 40 bucks more for the boxed ones.

I am looking at the umi sets at the moment.

For a street car, the weight difference between tubular and boxed or square tube ones is negligible. Also, $40. is probably for boxed original ones which still retain the regular (too soft :rolleyes: ) rubber bushings...Not bad, but there are better solutions out there...
If you can afford, go a step further and get some aftermarket ones with urehane bushings which is a BIG improvement!
There are several manufacturers who make them like UMI, H&R, Wolfe, Metco, TRZ, Hotchkiss, etc...

I am looking at the umi and the price DIFFERENCE is 40.00 dollars between the tubular and boxed. I just wanted to know which one is money better spent with umi.

I decided and ordered these umi control arms from summit.

Attachments

• rear control arms.jpg
    rear control arms.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 274
You will be happy, but I might have stepped up to the adjustable uppers, just in case you find your self have a little more fun then you are currently planning on. It happens, trust me. My bank account shows just how much "fun" I am having.

:biggrin:

You will be happy, but I might have stepped up to the adjustable uppers, just in case you find your self have a little more fun then you are currently planning on. It happens, trust me. My bank account shows just how much "fun" I am having.

I have the rear diff sitting on saw horses, body in primer on rotisserie, and the frame painted sitting on jack stands. Trust me, my bank account shows how much fun I am also having. :biggrin:

Just dropped 450.00 for fuel and brake lines:eek: Now I know how someone can get a ton of money wrapped up in one of these cars. It is all the little stuff that gets you and I haven't even started on the motor or trans yet. :rolleyes:

I have the rear diff sitting on saw horses, body in primer on rotisserie, and the frame painted sitting on jack stands. Trust me, my bank account shows how much fun I am also having. :biggrin:

Just dropped 450.00 for fuel and brake lines:eek: Now I know how someone can get a ton of money wrapped up in one of these cars. It is all the little stuff that gets you and I haven't even started on the motor or trans yet. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the part I'm dreading. Luckily I'm pretty adept at bending and flaring my own lines. Anything I can make myself, I will.

Yeah, that's the part I'm dreading. Luckily I'm pretty adept at bending and flaring my own lines. Anything I can make myself, I will.

Lines just got here. They look great. I would never try to make these myself.
Money well spent in my opinion.

WELCOME TO THE T.R. POORHOUSE.:biggrin: I have the Master suite!!!

WELCOME TO THE T.R. POORHOUSE.:biggrin: I have the Master suite!!!

I bought one of those it is mint cars sight unseen:frown:. I let it sit for 3 years and never plated it. Now I am in the mood to do it and do it right. The only problem I have now is time. It is getting colder and I have to get the body back on the frame before the snow :biggrin:. I should have the chassis complete next weekend. I've owned many turbo regals since 1992 and I am so poor, I can't even get a suite, let alone a master suite.:biggrin::biggrin: I'll have to compile a ton of pics and start a thread when I am done with the restro. Oh, the real bad thing about owning so many of these cars over time is, I know what it is going to cost me for the parts.:eek:

I bought one of those it is mint cars sight unseen:frown:. I let it sit for 3 years and never plated it. Now I am in the mood to do it and do it right. The only problem I have now is time. It is getting colder and I have to get the body back on the frame before the snow :biggrin:. I should have the chassis complete next weekend. I've owned many turbo regals since 1992 and I am so poor, I can't even get a suite, let alone a master suite.:biggrin::biggrin: I'll have to compile a ton of pics and start a thread when I am done with the restro. Oh, the real bad thing about owning so many of these cars over time is, I know what it is going to cost me for the parts.:eek:

My brother, you are doing it all wrong!!! You supposed to dive into a different type of car each time, blind to the effects it will have on your family eating and other minor necessities.:eek::D This is my first GN so I didnt know how much parts were going to cost me. I spent many years living in really nice refrigerator boxes in alleys as I built my 62 409 car and my Max Wedge Dodge. Parts for those were unheard of when I built them. This is no lie, I was a single guy in a 4 room apartment and had a coffee table that was 2 new MT 33X21.5 Pro street tires and a flat piece of glass across them. I had chrome valve covers on the wall, and an intake and carbs sitting on top on the T.V. My mom was so proud...not. When my first girlfriend moved in it took her a while to get use to my "furniture". As the car would get done, she would come home and say things like..."where the hell did the coffee table go?" I would tell her, dont worry, my new redline tires for the Dodge will be here tomorrow to replace the others. This is no lie.;) Oh by the way...im looking for a 65 GTO now...hello MAYTAG man...got a box???

My brother, you are doing it all wrong!!! You supposed to dive into a different type of car each time, blind to the effects it will have on your family eating and other minor necessities.:eek::D This is my first GN so I didnt know how much parts were going to cost me. I spent many years living in really nice refrigerator boxes in alleys as I built my 62 409 car and my Max Wedge Dodge. Parts for those were unheard of when I built them. This is no lie, I was a single guy in a 4 room apartment and had a coffee table that was 2 new MT 33X21.5 Pro street tires and a flat piece of glass across them. I had chrome valve covers on the wall, and an intake and carbs sitting on top on the T.V. My mom was so proud...not. When my first girlfriend moved in it took her a while to get use to my "furniture". As the car would get done, she would come home and say things like..."where the hell did the coffee table go?" I would tell her, dont worry, my new redline tires for the Dodge will be here tomorrow to replace the others. This is no lie.;) Oh by the way...im looking for a 65 GTO now...hello MAYTAG man...got a box???

You're my kinda guy Donnie.:biggrin: I'm just as bad as you are.:eek: Lost more girlfriends because of my cars and other toys.

Back