Which valve cover gaskets?

This gasket is very rigid. You can't squash it or deform it. I like to spray Hylomar on each side of it. No other gasket can hold a candle to this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cometic-Va...191883416990?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Since the stock head rail that the gasket comes in contact with is rough cast and not machined flat you would want to have it machined flat. Aftermarket aluminum and champion ported iron heads have machined rails

Last edited:
If you have stock heads (with a rough cast rail) use plain ole cork. If you have aftermarket heads wtih a machined rail, use either cork or rubber. If you go with rubber, spend the extra money for the ones that have a metal core.

Last edited:
felpro vs50156t. uded on 3800. just trim on 2 corners and can re-use multiple times. Best hands down. plus you can lay on head and not worry about coming off cover. only gasket I have found that works. I wont use anything else!

felpro vs50156t. uded on 3800. just trim on 2 corners and can re-use multiple times. Best hands down. plus you can lay on head and not worry about coming off cover. only gasket I have found that works. I wont use anything else!
I thought there was a gasket of this type out there somewhere but the parts guy could find no such option for my 86 Ttype. I went to Autozone and sure enough,there is no such option. The web site warns that this part is not a fit for the 86 or 87. They do call it an exact fit for an 85 however.

Felpro vs50156t are intended for the steel stamped covers on the non-turbo motor. But many have used them on the aluminum covers with good success. They need a slight trim, which will be obvious when you line them up on the cover.

I thought there was a gasket of this type out there somewhere but the parts guy could find no such option for my 86 Ttype. I went to Autozone and sure enough,there is no such option. The web site warns that this part is not a fit for the 86 or 87. They do call it an exact fit for an 85 however.

That's funny since they are the same gasket/same head design.

That's funny since they are the same gasket/same head design.
It's not the first time that parts distributors have been ignorant about turbo Buicks. It's frustrating and funny or I drink because it is frustrating until it becomes funny.

just take tin snips and trim 2 corners on gasket. you will see when you lay gasket on cover. Gasket is marked as cover side and intake side. Tighten down snug and they will not leak!

Felpro v50156t in both my cars. Been in the gn for over 10 years and I can still re use it if I have to pull a cover

Edit apparently I put them on in 04-05 and still going strong!

IMG_5979.PNG

Last edited:
I use the perma dry plus. Work excellent.

I use the perma dry plus. Work excellent.

X2
Me too! Have been using em for years with no leaks or issues.
However I've got TA Performance Valve Covers (not the stockers). No trimming needed with the aftermarket valve covers. Went on Easy Peasy Even with my Buick MotorSports valve covers, no trimming needed. These are the only valve cover gaskets I'll ever be using on my Buick!