You can type here any text you want

Which valve covers do I search for at the junkyard 3.0 or 3.8

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

I called a few junk yards. I told them that I needed a late 80's or early 90's FWD 3.0 valve covers. They all told me that GM stopped the 3.0 in 85 and do I want 3.8 ?
My question is, which do I want to tell them, 3.0 or 3.8
Thanks

Just ask for the ones on a 3.0 I told them for a 85 Buick Somerset with a 3.0 V-6. THey stopped making the 3.0 in 1988 so any from 1985-1988 will work. HTH. jason

was just at a junkyard to grab a coil pack

86 somerset 3.0 had center bolt valve covers

Happen to notice if they're exactly the same??

There's tons of posts with (Head?) cast #'s for the correct valve covers, but year/model would be a little more helpful. For me at least.

Thanks,

M

I know for sure the 85-88 Buick Somerset 3.0 covers are the same, I got two LH covers a few months back one from a 86 the other was off a 88 and they both have the same casting/partnumber on the underside of the cover as my LH TTA cover had. I'm sure any GM 3.0 in the 85-88 year range had the same covers. I think a 86 Lesabre even used the 3.0 heads. Jason. You can see them in the pic on my site at http://www.cherishedphotosbymisty.com/ttaengine/ those are the covers I got from the juck yard, I had them cleaned up and powdercoated.

What I did was just went to the junkyards and walked around and every mid 80s appearing Buick I opened the hood on. If the valve covers look the same they more than likely are. You'll know whenever you find them. It took me like an hour to get them off because of all the stupid stuff covering the rear valve cover. Make sure to take sockets and a nice flat head (for prying on stuff). Front cover is pretty easy to get off. This is assuming they make you remove the parts.

I think I read that there are *slight* differences (hole on rear of Drv side cover(?) etc).

And holy &%&$ Jas. Those are some REALLY nice pics. Amazing how that turned out.

Is that powder coating (the red) ??

REALLY nice.

chicagoTTA said:
And holy &%&$ Jas. Those are some REALLY nice pics. Amazing how that turned out.

Is that powder coating (the red) ??

REALLY nice.
Thanks, The only thing not powdercoated is the block, heads, front cover, and water pump. That's all painted with high temp paint that matches the powercoating. The fuel rail, valve covers, throttle body, intake, AFPR, and the top of the dog house in the pic is all powdercoated and the headers are ceramic coated.

I think the only think that's still original on the motor is the block and crank. I've been working on this car for about 2 1/2 years. The motor now has Champion Race Ported Heads and matching intake, Ross Racing Pistons, and a roller cam kit, and was built by Cal Hartline @ Hartline Performance. I'll also be running a T-66 turbo on it with Razors Alky kit. Heres some pics of what the car looked like when I bought it back in 2003 http://www.cherishedphotosbymisty.com/jasons89tta/ it's now all painted I just need to get all my pics together and add some of the newers one of the way it looks now. I hope to have the motor back in by this week-end if I ever get some brackets that came up missing :mad: Thanks, Jason

If you go looking around the junk yards for valve covers, don't limit your search to mid 80's Buicks. I found a set in an Olds... and if I recall correctly they had the same casting number as the original TTA's.

Went to two junkyards today and they said they dont have any 3.0 valve covers but have some 3.8
Is that the same ??????????
Thanks

Wow Jason!! That motor looks much nicer than when I shipped it to you! Email me what brackets you are missing and I'll see if I have them.

Back