You can type here any text you want

Who got there $$'s worth?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I know alot of people ask "what mods should they do?" but I'm kind of curious what mods they felt like they got thier dollars worth out of.

1. K&N air filter and maf pipe: relatively cheap and they seam to work.

2. scanmaster: Fancier stuff is available but constantly displaying knock retard and o2's during a pass is priceless for both piece of mind and tunning.

3. translator plus AND extender chip combo: Effective and so easy to use you'll fell like you stold some thing.

4. torque converter: If I ever find the perfect one Ill let you know. I got a Art Carr 9" 3200 n/l #16930 from Cotton's. The list of what I liked about the converter was long. The only thing I didnt like was too much slippage on the top end. I think this had alot to do with my relatively low rpm shift points (stock cam and unported heads). All in all a good converter really changes the way a car feels at the track and on the street.

5. Slicks: I run 28x9 ET drags. You can get "decent" launches right off the bat with slicks. Other mods can help you gain even more with them.

6. passenger side air bag: Cheap and it works

7. tubular torque arm: I dont run a high dollar adjustable t-arm. I have and Edelbrock unit that sells for $173 out of Summit. I got mine brand new off of Ebay for like $110. Ever since putting this in my car my weak link is the brakes and how much boost I can hold. Unhook the front sway bar, put around 20 to 23 psi in the air bag, 12 to 14 psi in the slicks, install this bar, do a mild burn out, launch at 8 to 10 psi off the foot brake with a good converter, and you'll get the launch your looking for. When the car is running decent people like to watch it launch.

8. Precision 63 exhaust housing: Now that I have a ball bearing turbo I would love to try a 4 bolt housing. Until then the precision 63 seams to do what its supposed to. It has good spool up seams to help on the top end.

9. Walbro 340 and home made hot wire kit: I had a bad experience with mine dieing with less than 500 miles on it. I think this had to do with sitting for several months at a time (thats my guess). With this pump through stock lines and MSD 50's my car kept running rich. I kept having to lower fuel pressure and pull fuel out with my translator plus. When I finally got it leaned out enough I went 11.30. I will say there is plenty of fuel in that combo to go into the 10's. When mine started crapping out I went to a big external pump and lines because my long term goals will excede the capabilities of a 340 and msd 50's.

10. intercoolers: TTA intercooler options suck! For my old GN I went and dumped some cash on a TE44, 3" down pipe with external gate, 009 injectors, chip, and fuel pump. This was about 7 years ago and this stuff used to cost MORE than it does now. I laid out over $1500 for that stuff. I was dissapointed in the way the car felt. A couple weeks later I installed a precision front mount for $1000 then took the car back out. Thats when the car started to feel fast. That thing really felt like it was moving out.
Now on my TTA I had a BGC stretch IC with my first set of mods. This didnt work because of ground clearance probs and it was always scrapping. So I threw the stocker back in. Man it felt like some one yanked one of my plug wires out. To compound the problem I had to lower the boost on pump gas because the air going into the motor was now hotter and the cars was showing knock at boost levels where it used to be fine. My car now runs a liquid IC and I have made a full pass at 28 psi with my o2's in the mid 600's with no knock. The liquid IC just sucks so much heat out of the air the car is no longer knock sensitive. In fact I'm starting to think that I'm running too much octane! Think about the amount of boost I've admitted to running coupled with that last statement. Anyone still reading this must think I'm retarded!:D But explain this: I went 11.16@121 I drove straight down the return lane, restaged, 5 cars later I made another pass, hot motor, hot trans, ect ect.. and I went 11.17. Now who running 28 psi hot laps a turbo Buick and runs 0.01 seconds slower? Infact when I did the 11.16 I had launched a little better. If it wasnt for that the 11.17 hot lap pass would have been faster.

11. fuel pressure gauge you can see in the car: Four times now I have seen this become important. Twice for me and twice for buddies. Whats a TB motor cost to redo? Ive seen 4 motors flurting with disaster that a fuel pressure gauge saved. The problem is that the fuel problem doesnt show up until you need it the most, on it hard with the boost up. Thats a bad combo.

Jason

Best money spent for me:

Even though I'm running T+ and extender now, Trasher chips for a somewhat stock car, can't beat it for $25,JMIO

Yanking the cat off and putting straight pipe w/dump, for $50
money well spent.

Duttweiler necked IC, for a relatively cheap mod I was very
impressed. Boost went from 17 psi to 20 psi without touching a thing, kinda tells ya how much that neck chokes off on a slightly larger than stock turbo, 61. Turbo spooled quicker as well.

Scanmaster=absolutely needed.

BstC, for me no more burnt fingers and "Aw $uck" 's at the track when needing to adjust boost. ;)

Best money spent for me was a computer so I could go on the internet and research about a vehicle that nobody knows about.

Then the listening and not spending money on "items" that yielded no results.

Followed by employing seat time in the car at a track and learning how to drive it.. still learning. Make it down the track at least 100 times in the car. Then you can start getting a grip.

The fancy smancy stuff isnt needed 99 percent of the time. My car has the original AC Delco shocks, original factory suspension, sway bars, brakes, etc. Full weight. Last time at the track it cut a 1.585 on ET streets with a 3 PSI launch.

Mods dont make a car faster, attention to what is going on and making changes does. Refer back to "seat time".

HTH

Make it down the track at least 100 times in the car. Then you can start getting a grip.

Thats a little extreme dont you think? I live 5 hour drive round trip from the closest 1/4 mile track. I probably havent hit 50 passes in my car total. Alot of guys I know messing around with turbo buicks havent been to the track half as much as I have. I dont agree with the "maxing out" a combo approach. Some times you dont cream you old best ET, but if your old best is now a easily repeatable thing then your getting faster.

Jason

Interesting about the I/C .... by chance did you get it from Cottons?

BstC, for me no more burnt fingers and "Aw $uck" 's at the track when needing to adjust boost. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Howdy Frank!

I'm guessing that you are using the boost controller made by Joe ? that is/was on the TTA mail list. Here's a heads up; I was using it also until it blew apart, caused me some real problems. Now I may be the only one that this has happened to but, I just thought I would pass on that the potential is there.

Hey Postal... thats why you're the Peoples Champ runner up :)

100 times.. is nothing. Thats like 15 track visits. Solution is move closer to track. :eek: I have at least 700 passes on my car. No problem.

Ok.. how bout this way. Would you say a stock combo is more forgiving in staying together or a combo with a bunch of mods? Especially for someone new to these cars. You throw that big turbo, converter, injector package..things start happening way faster.. and time to lift shortens dramatically.

The words of my buddy Roy Garcia, better to be able and make 50 passes down the track, than one hail mary blow your stuff up pass.. and have the car down for months. Words to live by. Who cares what it runs as long as it makes it back home in one piece. I stop chasing the numbers and have fun with the car. If it runs 10.50 or 12.50.. no matter. What I have learned is i'll get to the track and progressively squeeze the car.. if it wants to go faster.. great. If not.. i'm in no hurry.

Frank, I run the Greddy ProfecB specII boost controller.. it is the ;) but at $$$ you get what you pay for.

An important question

We've all read about and seen those who strap on every available modification and still run slower than 12 seconds in a quarter. I did a poll on this question in May....Here are the results, you will be surprised. :)

I believe the poll is still open if you haven't voted.

Here's mine:
Walbro 340 and hot wire
160 thermostat
Thrasher 92 chip
8" K&N
ATR MAF Pipe
1 screen removed from MAF
Adjustable FPR
Cat Pipe
Nitto Drag Radials
Tubular Panhard Rod
Tubular Lower Control Arms
Direct Scan

All are very simple bolt ons that pretty much anybody can do.

And since the rear main leaks on all of them(and the front of mine) 210/205 cam while you're there :)

All of the above netted me a 12.1@111 on a 1.69 short time on 93 octane and Xylene. 18psi of boost. Stock everything else in the car. Full weight, nothing taken out, yadda, yadda.

If I didn't go to a bigger injectors, turbo, exhaust, converter, I would have kept that setup and just used an alky kit to get into the 11's. Live and learn....

Best thing I ever did was with my old car #861 - always had a blast driving and racing that car.

Mods consisted of a scanmaster, 26x11.5x16 ET Streets, valvesprings,walbro fuel pump, test pipe w/dump, k&n filter and MAF pipe, stageright transbrake, thrasher 108 chip, and some 112 octane in the tank in an otherwise stock 25K mile TTA.

Car went a best of 11.99@112.9 w/1.63 60ft and was a consistant 12.0 car all day at 21-22psi. Won alot of races(and money)with that car in various bracket classes :)

Still wish I had that car :(

Steve

Hmmm.... I think some people are getting confused with the intention of the post.

Lets make two statements that I think most people will agree with:

1. the closer to stock the car is, the better bang for the buck potential.

2. As you go faster and faster the cost goes up exponentially.

Ok, if you're still with me lets make a few more statements:

1. Most of us are not changing the weight significantly, the areodynamics, gearing, or the size of our motors.

2. 20 extra HP could knock a full second of a really slow cars ET. The faster a car gets the less an extra 20 hp will do for you.

3. Its easier to get a turbo charged 231 to go from 300 HP to 350 HP than it is to get it to go from 600 to 650.

4. The guy who went from 300hp to 350hp should get a better ET gain than the guy who went from 600hp to 650hp.

5. We dont all have the same goals. One guy might think 12.50 is a fast car and another might think a 10.00 car is a turd. Some people could care less what a car does on race gas and some could care less about pump gas.

The intention of the post is what did you felt relatively happy with. :D

Jason

Hey Postal... thats why you're the Peoples Champ runner up

86 GN with a few bolt ons, few weld ons, a few JB weld ons and a weldon pump

I can cover every thing done to his car but the JB weld ons! The ported GN-1's, GTQ-71, roller cam, Blah Blah Blah I can cover (with him driving anyway ;) ),but that damn JB weld can even make that turd mobile run decent.

Jason

Originally posted by 89ICBM
BstC, for me no more burnt fingers and "Aw $uck" 's at the track when needing to adjust boost. ;)

Howdy Frank!

I'm guessing that you are using the boost controller made by Joe ? that is/was on the TTA mail list. Here's a heads up; I was using it also until it blew apart, caused me some real problems. Now I may be the only one that this has happened to but, I just thought I would pass on that the potential is there. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope, Boost Commander from Ramchargers. BstC is just the name they call it. Basically a cheap electronic boost controller that has just two features, but it works great.

How does one blow apart a brass T style boost controller?

Unless the screw/fittings wasnt/werent tightened down?

Maybe a little JB Weld could cure that
:D

Back