Who has nitrous - talk to me!

mongoosetoo

I want to put nitrous on my 85 setup this winter. I need input about what system, brand, level, controls etc. I understand the technical aspects, I'm just looking for tried and true combos that won't blow up my brand new, .020 over stock motor.

I simply cannot afford to be embarrassed by a rice burner.

Thanks, montgoosetoo

I know I saw a guy on here sometime back with a '85 motor in a volvo and he was running the bottle. Might get better feedback on this in the alky forum :confused:

My dad's 84 had a 100 shot when we bought it. All I can tell you is it was injected at the turbo to intake adaptor. It was an old NOS wet kit. Car had a nitrous chip that backed timing way off and put the injectors to 120%dc when it went WOT. Have fun with the stock wastegate. It was hard keeping the boost down.

I remember years ago a friend of mine had an 87 T and decided to put nitrous on it. Got to the track hit the no2 and kablam!!! 28 psi boost and that thing blew the head gaskets so bad they were sticking out from under the head. Guess what I am saying is be careful.

MoeJr said:
I remember years ago a friend of mine had an 87 T and decided to put nitrous on it. Got to the track hit the no2 and kablam!!! 28 psi boost and that thing blew the head gaskets so bad they were sticking out from under the head. Guess what I am saying is be careful.

That's what I'm talking about. My suggestion would be to start out with the boost as low as it will go before hitting the nitrous for the first time. The stock wastegate has a hard time controlling boost with nitrous but I know a few people have done it.

Do a search on Terry Penner... He was one of few to get N20 to run on a Hot Air. I think he got into the 11.70 on N20. He had a short write that consisted of KB headers and exhaust, KB nitrous chip, external fuel pump and regulator. And a HELL of alot of tuning...... This was in the late ninties... I got a NOS wet system that I used on my HOT AIR. I tapped the adapter from turbo to manifold. Got fuel off shrader valve fitting on fuel rail. I shot a 50hp shot at the top of first gear. I had a KN filter, stock chip, Hooker exhaust, boost set to 14lbs (10lbs from factory). I went from a 9.0 in 1/8 to a best of 7.89 in 1/8. Almost a full second of tuning and LUCK :eek: Hot Airs perform better on Nitrous than 86/87's. A 50hp is almost worth 85hp on a Hot Air. I had talks with Mike Thermos at NOS before I bought the kit. I did go to 1 range cooler plugs. I do remember using an adjustable regulator to fine tune fuel. I had a external bosche 306 mounted on frame rail. My car seemed to like to be sprayed anywhere from 10 feet to just past the tree. This was almost ten years ago. If Eric Marshall had been around then, I would have go a LOW :cool: timing chip and might have shot a 100 horse like Terry Penner :cool: .