You can type here any text you want

Who has upgraded there steering box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I checked Ebay and it appears that generally the used ones sell for about $50 with shipping. Brand new is about $100 shipped. I like to save money, but a new one isn't much more than used, and you know it has no wear on it. There is even a new "heavy duty" shaft for about $130. What do you guys think?

I checked Ebay and it appears that generally the used ones sell for about $50 with shipping. Brand new is about $100 shipped. I like to save money, but a new one isn't much more than used, and you know it has no wear on it. There is even a new "heavy duty" shaft for about $130. What do you guys think?

got part numbers and/or links for the brand new Jeep shafts?

Here are some thoughts based on my background on GTOs.....the GTOs as well as all the muscle a body cars back in the day had what is commonily referred to as lite steering like no road feel and took 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 turns lock to lock the wheel. GTO owners called this forever steering....plus the steering wheel diameter was like 15 inches across..

The hot set up in the late 1980s was to drop a GN steering box into the A body cars..this required a special crush sleeve to owners could use their original hose connectors...I would buy them from Lee manufacturing which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Ratio numbers that get thrown around can be confusing for most people myself included. My mechanical skills are quite limited.

The whole key that makes better sense at least to me is how many turns lock to lock? Also does it have road feel rather than very light steering.

I think the Buicks lock in under 3 turns....which you can see makes a huge difference. I think some of the F bodies maybe the ones with the WS suspensions do it even slightly quicker like around 2 1/2 turns.

As for the rag joint issue and switching something out may be easier to just replace the rag joint with a new one....

As it has been pointed out companies do make quick boxes today....boxes in our cars are the same as the monte ss and 442s the code on the good box is YA....I used to sell them to GTO owners back in the day.

Course now some of the cars have I believe electric steering....which appears to be the next upgrade on the horizon.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Jeeps have a lot of GM parts in them....

You're up late Dennis.:biggrin: Always glad to see you weigh in on something like this. :cool: Electric steering is an option but it's still not that reliable.:( Older Jeeps have lots of GM, Ford, and Chrysler parts on them but the newer ones don't.

The ratio of the steering refers to how fast the tires move in relation to the turns of the steering wheel. The 12:1 ratio will make the wheels move quicker and the 14:1 will make the in relation to the movement of the steering wheel.

I've had "armstrong" and "quick" steer cars and the quick steer will make it easier "at speed" to go around corners. That's really the only advantage to it.:smile:

I got mine from an eBay vendor for $15 plus shipping a few months back, but I would guess you could get one new from the dealer. The connection nearest the cowl on the Jeep shaft uses a pinch bolt that requires a slight groove on one of the flats on the steering wheel shaft. A die grinder or Dremel tool works fine, maybe 1/8 to 3/16's or so. Mine was rusty as recieved, hit with a wire wheel and some John Deere Blitz Black paint and it looks good as new. Got it from here: Jeep Wrangler Intermediate Steering Shaft 87-95: eBay Motors (item 330494372651 end time Nov-15-10 18:47:01 PST)

But they come from cherokees not wranglers right?

Ok, John said it was Wrangler, so I searched for Wrangler. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Charlie for clearing that up! Hey Charlie- don't you work for Autozone? Does AZ carry this part?

Ok, John said it was Wrangler, so I searched for Wrangler. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks Charlie for clearing that up! Hey Charlie- don't you work for Autozone? Does AZ carry this part?

Unfortunately I do and we don't carry it. I have priced it new and it's over $100. I bought 2 in a local salvage for about $30 each and they're plentiful so it shouldn't be a very hard thing to find if you want to do a little searching.

Thanks Charlie. I'll search for Cherokee on ebay for new ones and see what I get.

steering shaft info- from Junkyard donor list...

Steering Shaft/ Intermediate Shaft
Part # 52079050
89 Grand Cherokee
1993-94, 1995 -96 Grand Cherokee from production date 1/6/95 up

Original Replacement Parts 4713943 - Lower Steering Shaft Assembly for 87-96 Jeep® Cherokee XJ - Quadratec

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...270748-steering-shaft-intermediate-shaft.html

Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - MonteCarloSS.com Message Board

Good info. Got your PM. Thanks.

Ok, just for clarity, we are getting parts from the "Grand Cherokee" not just the regular "Cherokee". Is this correct? ..Here's a pic of my cherokee just for fun!

Attachments

• 39963_1363035277693_1285928852_30843963_6746038_n.jpg
    39963_1363035277693_1285928852_30843963_6746038_n.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 242
Cherokee and Comanche PU only from the info i've had so far. The Grand Cherokee won't work.

I use a Lee Manufacturing blueprinted box I purchased from SC&C. I installed the Lee box a couple of years ago but recently installed the AFX spindles with Speedtech upper A-arms and replaced all the steering linkage in hopes of being able to drive with one finger on the wheel. Unlike with the B-body spindles which caused me to drive with two hands and constantly making corrections, it took all the fun out of driving the car, felt like the car was all over the place.
Mike

I use a Lee Manufacturing blueprinted box I purchased from SC&C. I installed the Lee box a couple of years ago but recently installed the AFX spindles with Speedtech upper A-arms and replaced all the steering linkage in hopes of being able to drive with one finger on the wheel. Unlike with the B-body spindles which caused me to drive with two hands and constantly making corrections, it took all the fun out of driving the car, felt like the car was all over the place.
Mike

So how did it work out?

Mike

My car has the B-body spindles and moves around a lot on the road also. I think it is the bump steer problem that people have talked about on other threads.

I hope to install the bump steer correction rod ends this winter.

Please post if your new spindles fixed the problem.

Back