Who made this?

atr i had one of them on my 84 regal saw it thought it looked loke it would work so ordered one .It worked pretty well.

scott send me your address and i'll send you a can of rustolem!!! :eek:
LOL, To be totally honest the close up pics tend to make it look worse than it really is. I was laying under the car yesterday when I took those pics and in person it's rusty but not too bad. Nothing a bead blaster won't fix! :biggrin:

Len, I'll send you my address and you better follow through with that paint! :biggrin:

Oh BTW Len, How's the throat? :biggrin: lol

Scot W.

Scott,
Could you post up a pic or two of the intercooler 'shroud'? I think I may have just bought one of these, new and still in the packaging, and it has no install instructions whatsoever. Would like to see pics to determine how (or if ?) to install this contraption...

see here: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/250246-atr-intercooler-mod-kit.html

Thanks!! :)
From the looks of it in that link, It looks like it but it's hard to tell when it's still wraped in plastic. Give me some time and i'll get you some pic's. The cars are 35min away from me right now.

Scot W.

From the looks of it in that link, It looks like it but it's hard to tell when it's still wraped in plastic. Give me some time and i'll get you some pic's. The cars are 35min away from me right now.

Scot W.

I'm thinking from your original description, that what I have is what's on your car. I believe it's supposed to sort of 'box in' the factory IC fan. Would really like to see the pics when you get a chance. Thanks!

Brian
bmackinnon@mindspring.com

I'd agree with the others. That's an old ATR torque arm device. Just another stupid device to try and mimic the rear of the GNX. I used to have a few pieces of one them laying around I acquired at a sale well over a decade ago. Finally tossed them out.

Unfortunately the original "4 links" are still in place and it all works against each other. Can you imagine the "bind" that that suspension is under during movement!!! :mad:
Take a look under a GNX, you'll see they were smart enough to remove the top two links and ad a panhard rod.
Same with the rear of the 3rd gen Camaros (which is what that torque are is from), they removed the top two links and added a panhard rod.

ATR wasn't quite smart enough to properly engineer such a system though. :mad:

They just sell the parts and pocket the profits.

I still have one of those ATR "ladder bar" rear brace pieces. They stated it would strengthen the rear end and provide a better launch. True, they left the upper links in, hence the reason it never sold in numbers. I kept it because I figured I could make a tool ot something out of it. Heck, with the price of steel scrap these days, I should cash it in, now.:biggrin: Maybe someone should start a Turbo Buick Museum, and display all the cool stuff developed over the years. I have alot of obsolete hot rod parts laying around the shop. I could take a $120,000 tax write-off.:biggrin:

I still have one of those ATR "ladder bar" rear brace pieces. They stated it would strengthen the rear end and provide a better launch. True, they left the upper links in, hence the reason it never sold in numbers. I kept it because I figured I could make a tool ot something out of it. Heck, with the price of steel scrap these days, I should cash it in, now.:biggrin: Maybe someone should start a Turbo Buick Museum, and display all the cool stuff developed over the years. I have alot of obsolete hot rod parts laying around the shop. I could take a $120,000 tax write-off.:biggrin:
i think we should take over the corvette museum in bowling green!

Scott,
Could you post up a pic or two of the intercooler 'shroud'? I think I may have just bought one of these, new and still in the packaging, and it has no install instructions whatsoever. Would like to see pics to determine how (or if ?) to install this contraption...

see here: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/250246-atr-intercooler-mod-kit.html

Thanks!! :)

Had a chance to snap a pic or 2 of the above? No big deal, but I'd appreciate it if you could next time you visit the car.... Thanks!

Had a chance to snap a pic or 2 of the above? No big deal, but I'd appreciate it if you could next time you visit the car.... Thanks!
I havn't had a chance yet, I've been super busy lately. I should be back over there in a week or so and will snap a few for ya.

Scot W.

If it really worked well, wouldn't everyone have one? Guess not.

Not necessarily.. ATR made the finest dash that I ever saw for a turbo Regal and Ive never even seen one in a car, just the display unit. Made the GNX dash look silly (Back then)

ATR had a lot of stuff that was way ahead of it's time.

I liked

their Ram Air. The 1st one they sold. The 1991 catalog says they sold 3000. I find that a little hard to believe. I have seen one on a car in Denver in 1989. They made real bad chips, as in , not good. The water intercooler was about half the piece as the one from Conley and cost almost double. Their twin turbo race car ran mid tens. They did have nice exhaust.

Back in the day, their chips were better than everyone elses. Until the GNXHiFlo and the MaxOverdrive, there wasnt much to chip technology. Most of them didnt do anything but raise the boost.

i pulled that plate off the rear end of my buddies car.it only had the plate in between the housing and rear end cover and its heavy.we where also wondering what the hell it was now we know!!!!!!:biggrin: