Why can I shift into any gear,even reverse without pressing the button on the shifter

TurboB24

Junior mint
Title says it all,I do not have to press the button on the shifter to switch into any gear.I could, if I wanted to, shift into reverse at 125 mph on the highway.I dont think it would be good for the tranny if I were to do this :biggrin: .What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Title says it all,I do not have to press the button on the shifter to switch into any gear.I could, if I wanted to, shift into reverse at 125 mph on the highway.I dont think it would be good for the tranny if I were to do this :biggrin: .What do I need to do to solve this problem?
The problem is most likely in the bottom of the shifter,there is a spring that holds up the detent to lock it into gears,once the spring breaks the detent falls and will have no lockout.

In my GN I had to take the handle off the shifter and turn the little white plastic thingy sticking out of the shifter and turn it in or out. Not sure which way I had to turn it but it's threaded.

This helped me.