Why does my car keep eating computers?

VeesGN

I'm on my 5th ECM/computer in less than 1500miles. I'm not sure why I keep killing them. I've replaced almost every electrical component/sensor and rebuilt the engine. I checked all grounds to the engine, etc and haven't found any problem. Here's what the car typically does when it dies:

It's driving along w/no problems other than my pesky tip-in stumble that I can never really cure. Then, it just lays over and starts sputtering along. It'll idle kinda rough and won't accelerate w/o a lot of stumbling. If I can get it past the stumbling, it runs OK at WOT. I'm not the best at reading the Scanmaster, but it looks OK to me. The car will start up cold and run fine until it changes loops, then goes to crap. After I play with it until I pull my hair out, I order another ECM and it runs good again. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to change to a different engine mgt system? What does that cost?

Check the area that the ecm is in for wetness. Leaky heater core, or bad weathersrtipping can let moisture in to the ecm, which kills it. Also sounds like maybe there is a problem in the 02 circuit, since it messes up when it goes into closed loop. Check the harness and wire for that circuit.

Hmmm, I did have the battery charger on the car over night before I drove it to work that day. It ran fine for about 20 miles before it died on the way to work.