You can type here any text you want

why does my car twitch from side to side at WOT?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
this isnt a joke- just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

ok- about 2 weeks ago i dialed my car in at about 23-25 psi of boost on the street, and it is running really really good.
heres the problem with the car-

still has the original tires-
has the original shocks-

ill roll out and nail it in 2nd gear and the tires will spin ... well...alot!!
but some other times when i get the tires to hook, it feels as if the car rocks side to side from say 40mph to 80mph, im not sure if its the road condition or what?
it twitches side to side, and feels like its bouncing left and right..

now granted my old tta had drag radials and never did this..

and this car tracks straight down the track everytime.

so do ya'll think it could be just the tires are on the virge of loosing traction, and cause the car to twitch?
i figure the car will pull around 113-114 in the 1/4 now as the state of tune its in
thanks in advance

My TTA did this. The rims were swapped backwards. We moved them back and it fixes this. I have also heard that bad from struts will cause this.

My LS1 started doing it also, I had a nail in the right rear tire and it had like 15psi of air in it. If I filled it up it was fine, as soon as it went low again it started that crap.

If your going down the highway and nail it it would go straight but the body would roll back and forth...

thats kinda what it does, car goes straight, but the body feels like it going side to side.
the wheels are on right, and i hope the struts are fine.
i guess ill have to wait till spring and bolt the slicks on and see how it drives

You might want to look at your contrl arm bushings and panhard rod bushings.

I'm not a TTA guy but

How many miles are on it? Sound to me like you may need to rebuild the posi. In my experience on TR with DR (not slicks) sometimes when you put a lot of power to it, the car is breaking traction for just an instant one side at a time. The only thing I could attribute it to when on slicks it is not an issue. I have run into this problem on a few cars I have worked on but not my own with a fresh posi. I don't know for sure but just an observation. Hope it helps Dave

Maybe a sway bar end link has broken? Happened to me a long time ago. Exhibited the same symptoms you describe.

the car has 12k and tight as a drum-
i had a buddy driving his car behind me and watching what was happening-- i believe the tires were the problem-- breaking traction from 30 mph roll,...40 mph roll-
i just bought some nittos, and hope the problem goes away soon :)
thanks for the ideas--- it doesnt do it all the time either,.... im thinking the car was riding in the ruts on a crappy street or something- hth

Back