wideband question again.

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
my wideband has a 5 volt output.....can this be sent to the engine computer instead of the factory o2 sensor???

Does it have an analog or narrowband out ?? My LM-1 can be programmed to output narrowband and that can be hooked to the ECM.. I ran my car briefly like that to see how it would work..

its an aem ungo 30-4100.

has a wire for data out.

another has 0-5v analog output....

my wideband has a 5 volt output.....can this be sent to the engine computer instead of the factory o2 sensor???

VERY good question...

My LC1 shows an analog output going to the ECM, and I know it is programable for output.

Has anyone used this for the ECM input, vice the LB stocker?

Mike

My PLX wideband also has two analog outputs. I feed the WB (0-5v) signal to the Translator Pro and Powerlogger, and I send the NB (0-1v) signal to the ECM (not needed anylonger because of the wideband control, but just for info).

My PLX wideband also has two analog outputs. I feed the WB (0-5v) signal to the Translator Pro and Powerlogger, and I send the NB (0-1v) signal to the ECM (not needed anylonger because of the wideband control, but just for info).

Is that why it is called NB? Becouse of the much less range of signal? 1V vs 5V?

That would make sense...

Mike

Is that why it is called NB? Becouse of the much less range of signal? 1V vs 5V?

That would make sense...

Mike

YES!

NB 1V
WB 5V

the wideband is very sensative, and the datastream is so much faster. Its real time, versus our stock setup where the NB runs in a datastream.

Yes, not only because of the voltage range though, but more because the WB is a linear signal, the NB is a very steep, non linear curve.

Narrow band:

Attachments

• NarrowbandOutputGraph_small.jpg
    NarrowbandOutputGraph_small.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 210
Wideband:

Attachments

• WidebandOutputGraph_small.jpg
    WidebandOutputGraph_small.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 212
Hey Turbo Dave-

Have you been happy with your PLX?? I e-amiled Eric and he reccommended the PLX. I would eventually like to move into a powerlogger to run with the WB. I don't like alot of gauges, and I like the idea of having the WB read through the scanmaster. It wouldn't hurt for me to be able log an entire run and tune from there. I need all the help I can get.:eek:

Well, I've only got about 100 miles on mine so far, but it seems to be do fine. I have another issue right now that I'm chasing down that's unrelated.
Nice thing about the PLX is the ease of hook up. One wideband wire, one narrowband wire (if you need it for anything, most don't), and one ground wire, plus two more wire to the controller, for power and ground.

The WBO2 sensor cable is about 8' long and is plug and play.

HOWEVER, they send you an out put connector (output from the controller to your equipment), some wire, a few connectors and a couple capacitors. It's up to you to wire that all up. Not a terribly difficult task, but here's the rub.
They also include a couple of "noise suppresion" capacitors that need to be hooked across the analog output wires and ground, feeding your "device" (ecm or powerlogger).
I don't know why they couldn't have designed those into the controller, :frown: Kinda tough getting three wires and two caps all wired together without shorting anything together. They're really really small and fragile.

But other than that stupid anoyance, all seems to be working well.

the plxs work great i did in fact try this on a friends car and it worked well, i just put the narrow band input to the ecm.

The Powerlogger already has the capacitors built in, so the ones that come with the PLX are not necessary (at least for the Powerlogger).

It's usually best to keep a stock type O2 in there to keep the ECM happy (if your setup requires it). I've found that the simulated narrowband outputs on the widebands sometimes drive the BLM's bonkers, other times it works ok. Also, don't try to take any WOT O2 readings from a simulated narrowband output.

The Powerlogger already has the capacitors built in, so the ones that come with the PLX are not necessary (at least for the Powerlogger).

It's usually best to keep a stock type O2 in there to keep the ECM happy (if your setup requires it). I've found that the simulated narrowband outputs on the widebands sometimes drive the BLM's bonkers, other times it works ok. Also, don't try to take any WOT O2 readings from a simulated narrowband output.

All true. I put them in because my WB also feeds the Translator Pro, so I'm wondering now if all that trouble was necessary? I keep my ECM in full time open loop (because I use full time WB tracking), so the narrow band signal is only going in for something to look at on powerlogger along with the WB.

Wonder if I can do without the capacitors? Sure would make those connections easier, less fragile.

I wonder how appropriate they are in any situation? I'm hooked to the Translator Pro, and PL.

Do you think I can do without them? Do you know of any instances where there was a problem without them?

I don't run a translator but I do know that, like eric said, you dont need the one cap for the PL. I think it was TurboBob who told me that a while back after I got the PL and had that question... Beause the NB wire going into the ecm needed one and I was happy I didnt have to deal with that again wiring to the PL. Not that hard to do (the cap that is) just have to be real careful not to bust them when heating and installing. I've had my PLX for about 3 years now on the same sensor in the header (yes, the header) and it's daily driven. The WB has shown no signs of slowing or incorrect readings. Most of you LM1 guys have probably had your sensor just as long as its the same one to my knowledge. I would recommend the PLX to anyone looking to get a WB because of the fact you dont need to calibrate it and because it has both the outputs right there, no programming. Aside from the caps and a bit of solder depending on how you're hooking in, it really is plug and play. I've installed both the SM-AFR and the M-300, the SM is a bit nicer as it has plugs for the wires going into the control unit whereas the M300 has the wires hardwired to the controller.

I wonder how appropriate they are in any situation? I'm hooked to the Translator Pro, and PL.

Do you think I can do without them? Do you know of any instances where there was a problem without them?

I've run with and without and I can't really tell the difference. If I had to guess, I would say Bob may taken care of any noise filtering in the Trans Pro already (he thinks of everything:smile: ).