Will I still be able to beat him???

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Ok, I posted my kill of an 86 Monte SS 350, Edelbrock RPM package (cam, intake, carb, lifters) LT headers, shift kit, 3.73s, Flowmasters, and a K&N. Well the owner of that car is going to UTI in Chicago and he is beefing the Monte. First it is being stroked to 383 CID, then he is modifying a TPI kit from a 95 Vette and adding that to the 383. After that, the 2004R is being trashed for a stout 700R4. When he gets done, can I take him?? By then, I will have Hooker catback, AFPR, Walbro 340/wire kit, Big Mouth cold air, Thrasher 92 chip, scan tool....????????

You probably will but.

those 383 stroker motors can put out some good times and torque, he will probably be running mid to low 12's with it and make sure to check for NOSSSSSSSSSSS lines and selenoids, you will also have to run some good gas and up the booossssssstttt and get some slicks, then he should give you no problems.

I've seen some strong 383 strokers that would run solid mid 12's, all motor, when done right. Better get him off the line and maintain your speed. Also, like wicked87GN said look for the NOS solenoids cause you will be hurting if he sprays ya ...

Well, I doubt I'll need slicks and race gas cause we are both lacking in the funds department and neither one of us will have them. But if a little xylene/MM oil accidentally splashed into the tank it wouldn't be all that bad. I know he won't spray it because him and I tried to spray a 350 that was in a 83 C1500 GMC and it shot a pushrod through the valve cover. And he knows if he decided to spray it, that I would just go out and get a bigger turbo. But if it was just a friendly race from stop light to stop light I'd be ok, right????

95 Corvette's don't have TPI. TPI was used from 87-92 on Camaro's, Firebird's and Corvette's. After 92, they went to the LT1 style intake. :)

How can you not have the money for racegas? throw $30 worth of gas in there, turn the boost to 21psi, and see ya!

90TGP: Even though they changed the manifold style, its still Tuned Port Injection system on the Corvettes.

'95 vette has TPI?

That' s news to me. I thought the vette's multi point fuel injection used on the 95 won't interchange anything more than injectors with the TPI system and even those flow different #'s.

The intakes are completely different, as are the engines. Any '93-up C4 Corvette has the LT1, with the short runner intake....Pre-'93 cars all had the Tuned Port L98 engines, based off the original small block, except for '83 & '84 had the "Mis-Fire Injected" 5.7

Although the LT1 is still a "tuned" runner intake design (so to speak), the pre-'93 cars were identified as "Tuned Port Injection" cars. The injectors interchange, but I don't know what the flow #'s were.

Steve

John Millican has designed and modified the LT1 intake to work on a standard SBC heads, distrib, and TPI ECM and Harness.

A 383 with a LT1 intake will create some awesome #'s in the HP/TQ department. If he is using the older TPI system, then HE better have some serious traction helpers or he is got nothing but wheel spin down low(TPI is a torque MONSTER) and and the tune port runs out of "breath" at 4800RPMs. If you look at the Vortec TPI one of the Mags did lately, all that extra horse power and torque yet the RPM band was limited to below 5000RPMs. With 3.73's he will have trouble staying with you.

Black Box, the injectors for the 350 TPI is 22# and the LT1 350 is 24#.

Be warned that if he hooks up that power, you will have a challenge(less likely to happen with his 7.5 rear end, if he wheel hops, he will need a broom and dust pan). Work on your suspension to put your power to the ground.

To add a little more info froma TPI fan. I had a 350TPI with Bolt ons and 305 heads turning 2.77 gears in an 86 T/A turbing 13.9's. So I know these engines quite well(tooting my own horn a little) Though dont ask about the heads this was all discussed in another post and to sum it up is to say not enough money to finish up the motor with everything I wanted before I had to get the car back out on the road.
So anyways the Vette had a 350TPI from 85-91 and 92+ has the LT1 96 LT1 or LT4 if its a 6-speed and 97+LS1 or LS6
The TPI was originally designed in a manner that the smaller 305 coulld produce big Torque numbbers of a 350. Good for the street not so good for the track. It works on harmonics such that at max Torque the runners actually push air into the engine(at like 2200 rpms) and run out of breath above 4500 rpms. This is why a lot of TPI cars turn in better 1/4 mile times if they shift at 4200 RPMs. The "Tuned Port" means what it sayes. The intake system has runners that can be interchanged to "tune" The intake track with the rest of the engine to flow at certain RPMs. That is why SLP sold the siamesed runners, promising big improvements. On a stock motor no, but with a cam change and a runner change yes. I had mine producing max hp at around 5400 RPM with the SLP runners a 58mm TB and a SLP cam.
The LT1 is kind of like an old Tunnel ram, short runners that flow well over the entire RPM band, they are not removable thus not "tuneable"
The LS1 is a compromise between the two, TPI long LT1 short tuning for higher RPMs and a broader flatter Torque curve.
Oh and in 88/89 they went to the centerbolt valve cover heads with a different bolt pattern so they wont interchange with an older head.
If he has a TPI it will pull a tree stump and if he has a LT1 and the right heads and Cam whatch out for 2nd gear.

Originally posted by Kyle F:
Oh and in 88/89 they went to the centerbolt valve cover heads with a different bolt pattern so they wont interchange with an older head

The centerbolt valve covers appeared on the TPI engines in '87, with the revised angle intake bolts, at least in the F-bodies (all F-cars got iron heads; '86+'vettes had aluminum heads, but I think only the convertibles got them in '86. All 'vettes had them post-'86). They also introduced the hydraulic roller cams and one-piece rear main seal that year. I remember my '87 5.7 IROC having these features. Damn, I miss that car. :(
http://community.webshots.com/photo/43437738/43438178tllohX

Steve

You are correct, and don't forget they also went to a roller Valvetrain to

originally posted by Black Box

except for '83 & '84 had the "Mis-Fire Injected" 5.7

Cross-fire injection was 82' & 84'. I would love to get my hands on an 83', but they were never released to the public, and would be worth money as a collector car. Does anyone know why they skipped 83'?

I guess because there were no Corvettes produced in 83 so they couldn't market it as a Corvette inspired engine?

I went to the Corvette Museum during the 2001 Nationals and they explained why there was no 83 Vette. Just too bad that I cant remember why:confused:.

I thought there was no 83 Corvette because the project team got behind schedule on the new Body and that caused everything to get behind. Like setting up the new tooling in the factory and what not. So when it was ready instead of offering an 83 and a half they just introduced them in 84.
Seems like a good reason to me.

Kyle, your absolutly right. The 83's were built, serial numbered, and tested at the "long lead" preview at Riverside Raceway in December of 1982. I think they did run late on production but since the 83' met all 1984 federal requirements, they just skipped the 1983 designation.

That is from when I ran the car in Sept. last year. The reason is that it was completly stock from the non-adjustable wastegate to the stock fuel pump and stock regulator. Stock valvesprings with 135,000 on them. Stock 135k mile injectors .Stock airbox and the factory maf hose with 10+ holes in it. a low rpm stutter problem and big ole 215 radials out back that permitted me to run a 2.64 60ft, launching on 2psi . Also stock chip an 93 octane.

Another big problem was the governor. It wouldn't shift at WOT, and I had to ease out of it before it would shift. Oh yeah, a cracked DS header, too.

And the biggest reason is that I'm 17 years old, I dont have much money, and I'm NOT spoiled. I paid $4,000 for the car and got a fair deal. I have to pay for all mods to my car, on a whopping $7 an hr .

Hopefully now everyone will know why the time I have in my signature is sooo slow. Because that is what a bone-stock, worn out GN will run. I have spent the last year getting it driveable, and "ready to go fast". I.e.- hotwired 340, SM 2.1, adjustable fuel presure regulator. and since the center-section on the stock turbo is bad, I should have a 44 or a 49 in about a month. By next spring I hope to run mid- high 12's.

Sorry I got long winded,
Ryan