Window tint?

I think there is the problem colorless i have never seen colorless tint, it all has some shade to it

"(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard."

Supersedes "colorless".

Tint & California Law

Colors

• Window tint colors in California can only come in shades of black. Red, amber or blue tinting is not legal and may result in a traffic ticket. Businesses that provide tinting are not required to certify that their product is in compliance with California law. As the driver, you are responsible for ensuring that your tint meets all legal standards.
Visible Light Transmission

• Tinting laws are based on the percentage of visible light transmission. This is the amount of light allowed through a window and any film covering the window. In California, front driver and passenger side windows must allow 70 percent of the light to filter through. The front windshield may only be tinted within the top 4 inches of the glass.
Back Windows

• Back and rear windows on a vehicle in California can be any level of darkness. However, if you tint your back or rear window, you are legally required to have both side view mirrors. Tinting that causes more reflection than a standard window is not allowed.
Tint Darkness

• In California, the darkness of a tint is measured by visible light transmission (VLT) percentage, which is the percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. Under state law, the front driver's- and passenger's-side windows of any vehicle must let in more than 70 percent of light in if they're tinted. However, any shade of tint can be used on back side windows and the rear window of the vehicle.
Light Reflection

• Some tinting film contains metallic elements that reflecting incoming light and reduce the glare and heat generated by visible light, similar to sunglass lenses. Under California law, the amount of reflection in the front side and back side window tint can't be greater than that of a standard window. There's no limit on the reflective properties of the rear window tint, but only a nonreflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of a vehicle's windshield.
Windshields
  • California law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle that has a tint film on the windshield. The exception is clear, colorless, and transparent material that has the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. Under the law, if or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or too worn, it has to to be removed or replaced.

sakudog said:
A true professional can get it off with out damaging the defrost wires....

Well the rear defroster is not made of wires, it's made of some kind of conductive paint. Maybe some "professional" can get it off, question is are you willing to take that chance with your own defroster, when it's a "get it right the first time or else kind of thing ".

Well the rear defroster is not made of wires, it's made of some kind of conductive paint. Maybe some "professional" can get it off, question is are you willing to take that chance with your own defroster, when it's a "get it right the first time or else kind of thing ".

I guess the honest answer is I don't give a "F*(K" because I'm not driving a car with a beat up look and if it means buying new glass, well that is what it means. The tint lady I used warned me that she may damage the material but she got it all off with out an issue, the tint was from 91 and very purple and looked like ASS.

To each their own though :)

Tint & California Law

Colors

• Window tint colors in California can only come in shades of black. Red, amber or blue tinting is not legal and may result in a traffic ticket. Businesses that provide tinting are not required to certify that their product is in compliance with California law. As the driver, you are responsible for ensuring that your tint meets all legal standards.
Visible Light Transmission

• Tinting laws are based on the percentage of visible light transmission. This is the amount of light allowed through a window and any film covering the window. In California, front driver and passenger side windows must allow 70 percent of the light to filter through. The front windshield may only be tinted within the top 4 inches of the glass.
Back Windows

• Back and rear windows on a vehicle in California can be any level of darkness. However, if you tint your back or rear window, you are legally required to have both side view mirrors. Tinting that causes more reflection than a standard window is not allowed.
Tint Darkness

• In California, the darkness of a tint is measured by visible light transmission (VLT) percentage, which is the percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. Under state law, the front driver's- and passenger's-side windows of any vehicle must let in more than 70 percent of light in if they're tinted. However, any shade of tint can be used on back side windows and the rear window of the vehicle.
Light Reflection

• Some tinting film contains metallic elements that reflecting incoming light and reduce the glare and heat generated by visible light, similar to sunglass lenses. Under California law, the amount of reflection in the front side and back side window tint can't be greater than that of a standard window. There's no limit on the reflective properties of the rear window tint, but only a nonreflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of a vehicle's windshield.
Windshields

• California law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle that has a tint film on the windshield. The exception is clear, colorless, and transparent material that has the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. Under the law, if or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or too worn, it has to to be removed or replaced.

i guess i should print that out and educate the cops, since it seems there not aware of the law, but in the end its my fault for being to lazy to look it up and contest the ticket.

i guess i should print that out and educate the cops, since it seems there not aware of the law, but in the end its my fault for being to lazy to look it up and contest the ticket.

Maybe the lazy cops fault and they should learn ALL of the law instead of just the part they can hassle you with. ;)